Options

Slow down CPU to save money?

ajsieajsie Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi!

At the present moment I have a P4 2.53 ghz and so far as I am concerned it uses a lot of electricity. So I wonder if I can go in on BIOS settings and slow down the speed for example down to 200-600 mhz over the night when I just have it on for downloading stuff, to reduce my bills on electirity? Is that possible, would it not damage my CPU?

I also wonder if anybody knows how big the differences are between 200 mhz, 300 mhz, 1 ghz, 2ghz and so on if you are focusing on the electricity usage?

Lets say for an example: "you will spare 6 times money having a 200 mhz CPU on than a 2.53 ghz".

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ronorono Member Posts: 121 ■■■□□□□□□□
    :D
    Close your file sharing program and like this ,you'll save a lot! icon_lol.gif

People are overclocking or like you trying to "underclock".Overclocking is not recommended so it's up to you to take the risk!
    Mess with the best,Die like the rest!
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    You probably won't be able to lower it that much. I.e. I can run my 1466 on 1100 MHz. But it won't make a big difference on your electrical bill either... I think if you want to save money on electricity you should shutdown your PC instead of leaving it running to download 'files'... icon_wink.gif