Options

About 290 and 291....

Squirrel23Squirrel23 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all.

I've managed to study for and pass my MCDST (271 and 272) in 4 weeks. Considering I'm studying full time (about 7/8hrs a day), how long to you reckon ot willl take me to be ready for the 290 and 291? I'm planning on taking the 270 as my other exam, because i'm guessing that with me having the MCDST it will be very easy!

Any thoughts??

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Well don't burn out studying ! That's about how long it took me to study for and get my mcdst as well. I would say usually it takes people around 1-2 months for the 290, but studying full time maybe cut this to about 3 weeks. 291 is harder and I haven't studied for this one yet but I would guess around twice as long.

Also this depends on how much you already know. If you already have experience working with servers and the OS then Ive heard of people doing it in a week.
  • Options
    Squirrel23Squirrel23 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the input. I'm very new to Server 2003!

I've a lot of experience with XP, so the MCDST and 270 won't be a problem, but NO experience AT ALL with servers!! And as we all know, no matter what we get on paper, experience is the key unfortunately!! Very annoying!!
  • Options
    jnwdmbjnwdmb Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am in a similar position as you where I am not working and have a large amount of time daily to focus on studies. My progress is listed it my signature if it helps you at all. As far as the 291 goes, I took longer on it than any of the other exams because I failed my first attempt and had to use my second shot, plus it was during the holiday season, so a lot was going on. Good luck!
    A+ IT Technician, Network +, Security+
    MCSA:M, MCSE:S
    (MS 270,290,291,293,294,298,299)
    MS Exchange 2003 (70-284)
    MCTS: Server 2K8 Virtualization(70-652 & 70-403)
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Squirrel23 wrote: »
    Thanks for the input. I'm very new to Server 2003!

I've a lot of experience with XP, so the MCDST and 270 won't be a problem, but NO experience AT ALL with servers!! And as we all know, no matter what we get on paper, experience is the key unfortunately!! Very annoying!!

Just a bit of advice, I wouldn't be so confident on the 70-270. I have my MCDST as well and I've been studying for the 70-270 for about 8 days now, taking the test tomorrow. It's FAR easier given that I have the MCDST but even still, there are things in the 270 that were not covered in the MCDST, like IIS.

Although I'm confident I'll pass tomorrow I'm trying not to take such a cavalier approach to it as I'd certainly hate to embarass myself and fail. :)
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Or upgrade your MCDST to MCITP:EST by taking 70-621, that will earn you MCTS:Vista Configuration resulting in obtaining Core OS credit for 70-620. That would mean, you don't need to take the 70-620 for MCITP:SA or MCITP:EA. One less exam to worry about later down the road if you plan to study for the Microsoft Windows Server 2008 certifications.