Options

CV question

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

I have been contracting for a few years now and my CV has grown considerably

Is it really a problem if my CV is 3 pages long, well 2 and a quarter to be exact, all my line spaces have been reduced to size 4, even changed the margins but still if I want to fit it all on 2 pages then I have to sacrifice parts of my duty descriptions, which are quite small anyway

How will I cope in a few years time when I will have had many more contract positions?

Anyone else have this issue?

Lee H

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I don't think it is too much of an issue if its three pages of quality material. The issue comes when people have a two to three page resume and have only held two jobs and stuff it with filler....
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just keep in mind that a lot of people may just glance at the first page. I'd load that up with your certs, education, skills, and most recent employment. Like Networker said, I don't think it's a big deal if you have another page or two of additional work experience for those who are curious.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I disagree, I think only executive level job seekers need to bleed beyond 2 pages (I know a lot of HR people would agree with me there). I've been consulting for ~12 years as well and if I were to list everything I've done it would be a small thesis paper (which would instantly end up in the trash of anyone who received it).

Like what dynamik said, you need to capture the readers attention in the top half of the first page (fold it in half and look at it, would that entice you to read any further?). After that as you list the positions you've taken, contracts filled, etc, you want to give precedence to the most recent. As you move further back in time start reducing the number of points (say 6-7 for the most recent, and only 2-3 for ones 5-6 back). For jobs even further in the past listing the dates, company name and job title is sufficient.

It's not necessary to list everything you did at each position, figure out the top things that show a measurable benefit to the business. Think of them in a situation, action, result approach.

For example:
    • Consolidated 3 data centers reducing operating costs by 27%.
    • Established new Service Desk proceedures/ training that allowed us to eliminate 2 FTEs with no impact on customer service levels.
    • Hired to fix an $1.2 million ERP implementation gone off-track, brought the project under control and delivered on-time and within budget.
    Think of a resume/CV as a marketing brochure - and what you're marketing is "you".