Options

access network shares from "bare" dos?

ajsieajsie Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi!

i have three computers at home which are connected to each others through a router. two of them are running winxp pro but the third one is too slow and old for that. so i wonder if its possible to access network shares to a local network from a computer with no operating system, only dos when i start with a start disk. maybe i must have some network drivers?

i have no idea how this may work. anybody with some experience and step to step information?

thx!

Comments

• Options
    ciscoboyciscoboy Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You need to create a network boot disk. That is a lot of work. Your best option is to disable hardware devices and network protocols that are not needed.
  • Options
    mynameisboringmynameisboring Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    if the old computer can only run DOS then don't even start thinking about using it - The NIC, would not be bootable, and the rest of the hardware is way to obsolete to be useful. Possibly only the floppy drive can be salvaged.

As for the 2 XP computers you should have no problem accessing the shares. Just remember to login as \\computername\username when accessing a share. Where \\computername is the computer you are accessing and the \username is a user on the computer you are accessing.

Take note that \\computername can also be \\ipaddress of the computer you are accessing