Options

Best Cert to Have While Job Searching?

There is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all certification but in your opinion, which certification is most handy to have when looking for an IT job?

I'm finding that while it's nice having the A+/Net+/CCNA certifications, the MCDST knowledge is coming in the most handy on interviews. No one really seems to be interested in knowing what a PC's boot procedure is, or what the 7 layers of the OSI model are or even why they should implement an EIGRP routing protocol over an OSPF one.

My thoughts are that with an MCSA and then a MCSE under my belt, I'll be even better prepared.
1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The type of questions depend on what type of job you are interviewing for. What would be the point of asking you about EIGRP if that wouldn't be part of your job?

The best certification depends on the type of job also. Like you have noticed an MCSE is best if you want to support servers. The CCNA would be more useful if you were trying to get a networking role.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    The type of questions depend on what type of job you are interviewing for. What would be the point of asking you about EIGRP if that wouldn't be part of your job?

The best certification depends on the type of job also. Like you have noticed an MCSE is best if you want to support servers. The CCNA would be more useful if you were trying to get a networking role.

You are correct sir, it is relevant to the type of job you're applying for but I was asking in more of a general, which is better sense.

As for me, I'm applying for Desktop Tech jobs and a lot of the companies out there are asking me if I know about subject matter that relates to Server administration and not so much supporting HW/SW for End users at the Tier 2 level.

The real kicker is some of these company's ask for this knowledge but then want to pay you $16-$20/hr at a W2 contract rate. I think many company's really just don't know what market rates are sometimes.
  • Options
    There is really no general better cert. It all depends on the type of work.
  • Options
    zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    In terms of the sheer number of jobs that it will make you eligible for, I'll go out on a limb and say MCSA/E. Combine that with a CCNA, and I think you stand yourself in good stead, assuming of course that you have good knowledge and experience (a degree can't hurt either) to back it up.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Microsoft certs will get you more job opportunities. Cisco certs will get you higher paying job opportunities. If you are applying for help desk type jobs as your post indicates, the Microsoft certs will help you more.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds about right to me.icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    I've seen places listing there looking for both MSCE,and CCIE.
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CCNA is a very useful cert to have, now that I'm studying it actually helped me better troubleshoot sys administration related task.

But it all depends on what type of job your looking for, every knowledge you learn you'll somehow leverage it someway or the other.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    We just hired for my job in San Francisco.

Although they didn't ask directly for certs, they were indirectly asking for
    MCSE
    CCNA
    CCVP
    Citrix

and VCE.

Snag all those and you are a strong contender for Jr to mid level work.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    We just hired for my job in San Francisco.

Although they didn't ask directly for certs, they were indirectly asking for
    MCSE
    CCNA
    CCVP
    Citrix

and VCE.

Snag all those and you are a strong contender for Jr to mid level work.

You are kidding right? All those certs to for a junior to mid role? I wonder how I ever made it icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    I think the general consensus that Microsoft certifications are the most handy to have while job searching is true and here's why: Microsoft products are what people know to ask about. And of course all employers want to get the most bang for their buck so yeah, I can see them wanting an MCSE for a helpdesk position.

Why anyone in their right mind would go through all the work of attaining an MCSE just for a helpdesk job is beyond me.

Although I'm glad I made the choice to pursue the CCNA before the MCSE as it gives me knowledge I can use now in my own independent business, I sure wish I had at least the MCSA for the interviewing process. Even if in my work role I never have to support say, IIS, or SQL, the knowledge sure would have come in handy. :)

In my case, I have 10 years of Helpdesk experience, 4 specifically in corporate environments and 1 of those years (200icon_cool.gif was in the Desktop role. The certifications I'm pursuing now are to shore up what I alreay know and prepare me for inevitable advancement into the server admin/network admin role. I feel that the CCNA/MCSE/A cert's are overkill for Desktop jobs but in this market, you can't have too much education/knowledge/skills. :)

For now I'll just keep on keepin' on....
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That has been an issue I've be running into lately. Seen plenty of jobs where they want you to have CCNA, MCSE, something security related, CCVP, and experience with VMWare then say that they are paying $35000 a year to do it. The economy sucks....
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    For entry level jobs:

A+, CCNA, MCP

I found these to be very desirable for entry level jobs
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The Grinch said:

<quote>That has been an issue I've be running into lately. Seen plenty of jobs where they want you to have CCNA, MCSE, something security related, CCVP, and experience with VMWare then say that they are paying $35000 a year to do it. The economy sucks.... </quote>

I agree ccvp, mcse, ccnp and they pay you 35K as big bucks. Yeah all that blood and they want to pay you crap! The economy does suck but you know some they know they will have someone get that! maybe bump it up to 38 or 40 K still that is crap for this level.
    Yeah, I have seen this......and MCSE, CCNA, CCVP is never a junior level but they pay you at that. it what is it going to take for this to break???????
  • Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    No way you need CCNA,MCSA for a desktop tech job. For jr job maybe for networking or sys admin but not for desktop tech. MCDST is all you need for that I would think.

Wouldn't MCSE get you more of a mid level job? Like sys admin or something? I wouldn't consider mcse entry level unless you have 0 experience.
  • Options
    CaptainCharismaCaptainCharisma Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    That has been an issue I've be running into lately. Seen plenty of jobs where they want you to have CCNA, MCSE, something security related, CCVP, and experience with VMWare then say that they are paying $35000 a year to do it. The economy sucks....

Recession or no recession, companies try and do this to people all year round.
  • Options
    Recession or no recession, companies try and do this to people all year round.

Find Technical Support Representative - no agencies please jobs at Dice.com

I would almost guarantee this job pays under $30K/yr. Even though the MCSE is a preferred qualification, to have it on their at all for a job like this is absurd. :)