Options

Is MCSA/MCSE worth it these days?

I am one test away from getting my MCSA. Since I'm already close, I'll get my MCSA, but I wonder if I should go after the MCSE. With the stiff competition in IT, and the bad economy, will I be able to get a better job with a MCSE? Right now, my job is being a Helpdesk Tech. I've had this job for about four months now. Before that, I helped set up computers at new sites for 6 months. Is getting the MCSE worth all the trouble these days?
The only thing that can stop you is you

Currently studying for 70-293

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd go for it. You are really going to be short-changing yourself if you skip out on the 293 and 294 material.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What do you want to do?

Entry level systems engineering pretty much requires it. Plus the MCITP:EA too. Certainly don't need a MCSE for help desk or desktop work.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Big JizayBig Jizay Member Posts: 269
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    What do you want to do?

Entry level systems engineering pretty much requires it. Plus the MCITP:EA too. Certainly don't need a MCSE for help desk or desktop work.

Eventually, I want to be an admin, either a Network or Sys Admin. Will obtaining the MCSE help with this?

• Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Big Jizay wrote: »
    Eventually, I want to be an admin, either a Network or Sys Admin. Will obtaining the MCSE help with this?

I'd said yes, it would help a lot.
  • Options
    bencairneybencairney Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    I'd go for it. You are really going to be short-changing yourself if you skip out on the 293 and 294 material.

+1, an MCSE will definatley help. The extra knowledge you'll learn in 291/293/294 will be invaluable if your looking to move into a sys admin type job.

I've spent 9yrs working without one but i'm gonna finish it this year, there's just too many jobs saying "MCSE essential" nowadays.
  • Options
    kctxaukctxau Member Posts: 130
    You will also find that there are "many" helpdesk postings requiring MCSE, and offering a whopping $9-$13 an hour.
  • Options
    LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    kctxau wrote: »
    You will also find that there are "many" helpdesk postings requiring MCSE, and offering a whopping $9-$13 an hour.

That is such a farce. No way no how do you need an MCSE for helpdesk. That is just plain silly. Also figure a lot of the those want ads you see out there asking for that are written up by HR people who are pulling those requirements out of their BUNG-HOLES because they think they know what they are talking about.
  • Options
    jnwdmbjnwdmb Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    original question was Is MCSE worth it?

my answer......god i hope so! I am almost done with it, and now you question its relevance! Has all my countless hours of studying and constantly turning down adult-relations with hoards of beautiful women been for nothing? I have forgone eating in some instances to be able to purchase my MSpress books and pay exam fees.......countless nights with no sleep worrying about exams. And you say it was for nothing? Not worth it? WHY......WHY.......WHY................?
    A+ IT Technician, Network +, Security+
    MCSA:M, MCSE:S
    (MS 270,290,291,293,294,298,299)
    MS Exchange 2003 (70-284)
    MCTS: Server 2K8 Virtualization(70-652 & 70-403)
  • Options
    kctxaukctxau Member Posts: 130
    LBC90805 wrote: »
    That is such a farce. No way no how do you need an MCSE for helpdesk. That is just plain silly. Also figure a lot of the those want ads you see out there asking for that are written up by HR people who are pulling those requirements out of their BUNG-HOLES because they think they know what they are talking about.
    Agreed!
    I was passed over on a position seeking "Level 1 HD support to escalate issues to II and III". The interview was easily recognized as an MCSE position (fully planning, maintaining and supporting AD, Exchange, and W2k3 Ent) with the interviewer stating they were looking for "more experience". They were offering under 14/hr.
  • Options
    rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    bencairney wrote: »
    +1, an MCSE will definatley help. The extra knowledge you'll learn in 291/293/294 will be invaluable if your looking to move into a sys admin type job.

I've spent 9yrs working without one but i'm gonna finish it this year, there's just too many jobs saying "MCSE essential" nowadays.

Exactly! The answer to "is it worth it?" really depends on how you obtain your MCSE. If you **** with brain **** and the like, then no its not worth it. If you study your butt off and actually learn the material, then it's worth its weight in gold. You will be a lot better at your job and stand out. The "MCSE" may get you an interview, but knowing the material will be what gets you hired and or promoted.
  • Options
    rwwest7 wrote: »
    Exactly! The answer to "is it worth it?" really depends on how you obtain your MCSE. If you **** with brain **** and the like, then no its not worth it. If you study your butt off and actually learn the material, then it's worth its weight in gold. You will be a lot better at your job and stand out. The "MCSE" may get you an interview, but knowing the material will be what gets you hired and or promoted.

+1

I bet if you start studying and sitting exams, by the the time you are finished you wont need to ask this question, it will be apparent.
  • Options
    I guess getting the MCSE is worth it. I'll continue on my path. I think MCSE would at least get me out of helpdesk and on to the next level.

• Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MCSA and MCSE still good because it show that you have the minimum skill set if your experience is not strong. As long as you are not paper MCSA/MCSE, then it still good Cert to hold.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    noel123ienoel123ie Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi

Ive just donw first exam 70-620 and wondering is MCSA/MCSE the way yo go or a Server 2008 certification

Thanks
    Noel
  • Options
    I was also faced with this decision about 3 months ago. I would suggest that unless you are already working for a company that uses 2008, I would go ahead and get certified in 2003. The technology is far from being retired, and I am sure that you see from job listings that MCSE is still very much in demand. You can always upgrade down the road without having to retake all you exams when/if you desire to get certified in 2008. It obviously depends on your specific circumstances, but in most situations 2003 is still the ideal way to go. Good Luck.
  • Options
    mrgetdown88mrgetdown88 Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LBC90805 wrote: »

That is a riot!! I've been in interviews with agencies, where their recruiters start naming certs w/o knowing their meaning or relevance. And seriously, I do helpdesk work and I can tell you... A retarded monkey w/ dyslexia could do this job with no problems lol. Keep in mind, I'm not even an MCP
    XBox Live: xGetDownNoobx
    Working towards 70-291 and CCNA
    Future Goals (In this order):CCNA, MCSA, CCNP, MCITP:EA, CEH

"Consider yourselves lucky I'm not after your gully holes..."
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Just a comment on the Server 2008 certs. So far in my job search I have run across not a one who recognizes the MCITP: EA. Fortunately I do have my MCSE so they recognize that straight away. It may take a while for the MCITP to get momentum going. I would still recommend the MCSE route to begin with.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    That is a riot!! I've been in interviews with agencies, where their recruiters start naming certs w/o knowing their meaning or relevance. And seriously, I do helpdesk work and I can tell you... A retarded monkey w/ dyslexia could do this job with no problems lol. Keep in mind, I'm not even an MCP

Seriously, I would be rather CURT with a recruiter pulling the MCSE for HD requirement on me. If that came up I would tell them that they didn't know WTH they were talking about and would promptly let them know that someone with such a qualification would be getting way underpaid. You get monkeys when you pay peanuts. For sure brain dumping territory there man.
  • Options
    LifelongLearnerLifelongLearner Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree. It does take time for new certifications to gain momentum. I have found that it is also a conversation starter (with employers, not recruiter agencies who couldn't find their ass with both hands).
  • Options
    I agree. It does take time for new certifications to gain momentum. I have found that it is also a conversation starter (with employers, not recruiter agencies who couldn't find their ass with both hands).

This reminds me of an issue I'm having. Do I create a resume to appeal to recruiters or a resume to appeal to employers/IT managers? Should I put a lot of keywords in my resume that recruiters look for, or do I create a resume that makes sense to the employer? I feel like if I create a resume for recruiters, I'll make it to second base, but never score at home plate (get hired by the employer). Also I feel that if I create my resume for employers, that I won't even get to first base, being that the recruiter is usually the first to read it. Any suggestions? confused.png

Update: I know that this is a thread about MCSE, but the previous post made me think up this question.

• Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Big Jizay wrote: »
    I am one test away from getting my MCSA. Since I'm already close, I'll get my MCSA, but I wonder if I should go after the MCSE. With the stiff competition in IT, and the bad economy, will I be able to get a better job with a MCSE? Right now, my job is being a Helpdesk Tech. I've had this job for about four months now. Before that, I helped set up computers at new sites for 6 months. Is getting the MCSE worth all the trouble these days?

Its hard to say is something worth it or not it depends how the person and how you use it, along with other factors (experiance etc). i would say its a good thing to get. I would rather have an MCSE than MCSA. Most recruitment ads dont even post for an mcsa. infact i havent seen one in a long while. Its alwats mcse blah blah.

Think of it as a good addition to your skillset / CV. However dont think once you will achieve it that a million job offers will start coming in.

Looking back, i wish i had completed the MCSE whilst on the track. At some point i will upgrade to 2008 but it wont be anytime soon...i have discovered networking now :D
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    ivalerioivalerio Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was looking for something like this last night. Taking my 1st Exam on Saturday. 070-270

I'm A+ from 1998 and received my NT4.0 MCP for both Workstation and Server in 2000. Other than that I've been in IT for 15years and I absolutely hate leaches aka recruiters. Unfortunately they have a hand in the cooking jar and if u=you wanna piece then you have to play their game.

I've been out of the field for a year now. Couldn't stand white collar pricks and the cut-throat IT - I'm better than you environment. So now after my year off. I plan on returning because truthfully it's all I know. I can no-longer do Desktop Support, I have never done anything as low-level as help desk so my next option is Server administration.

So I'm taking another 6 months of after this 1st exam to complete all 7 exams before going back to work. I also hope this is well worth it.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Don't tell dynamik ;)

but sometimes I wish I had gone through with the MCSE just to get some of that hardcore design information found in the later text. I think it would help no matter which generation of MS servers you work on (well except NT4)
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Is MCSA/MCSE worth it these days?

Yes, with the experience to back it up, just like the MCITP: SA and the MCITP: EA.

-Ken