2 x 3550
2 x 2950
2 x 2924
2 x 1900
2 x 2500
2 x 2600
1 x 3640
1 x 2511

going to add an ASA, already have a bunch of WIFI, and a ton of servers.

I am running dynamips and GNS3 for convenience and to tie into my regular lab....

I have the dynamips portion running on a HP (quad core, 3 gigs for ram blah, blah, blah) as a remote hypervisor, and running GNS3 on my laptop as a central control point....

Problems I am having and looking for solutions for:

1) I can not use GNS3 to do packet captures on my dynamips routers... I see there was a bug opened and closed on this issue... Supposedly the latest release of Dynamips fixes this but not for me.... AGGGHHH NEVER MIND THIS IS WORKING!!!! Don't know how I fixed it but I did.... Guess I shouldn't doubt my python hacking skillsssss (girls like dudes with skills... Bo staff skills, computer hacking skills).

2) I am trying to create a blank template for my labs, to be used with the BSCI lab manual. Well I got the default config, routers, cables setup... Then I save it as: Blank lab... So then I open this lab, and save it as a different name. Then I finish the lab and move onto the next lab... I open up Blank_lab, only to find that all the changes from the last lab have been saved to this lab, not the lab I was working on.... Anyone know how to make a template or prevent this from happening?
encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.

Comments

• Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    I don't know if there's an easier way than this but. When you setup your lab in a "vanilla" format and save it, it just saves it to a .net file. You can copy that .net file and rename it to whatever you want your lab to be then load that .net file into gns3.

It's ghetto but it beats recreating your vanilla lab every time.
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    aordal wrote: »
    I don't know if there's an easier way than this but. When you setup your lab in a "vanilla" format and save it, it just saves it to a .net file. You can copy that .net file and rename it to whatever you want your lab to be then load that .net file into gns3.

It's ghetto but it beats recreating your vanilla lab every time.

I agree, but this doesn't seem to be working for me...

Not that it takes a long time to rebuild the lab topologies... Just a frustration. I shouldn't complain though, GNS3 is a great tool and is saving me time.
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dynamips*

;)

And I've been meaning to try them out. I have a pretty powerful machine, so I figure the system requirements aren't too steep.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    KGhaleon wrote: »
    Dynamips*

;)

And I've been meaning to try them out. I have a pretty powerful machine, so I figure the system requirements aren't too steep.

You don't need that powerful of a machine. Especially if you run dyammips on linux.
  • Options
    kerbydoggkerbydogg Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think this is how GNS3 loads start-config files.

It will check if there is an assigned stratup-config (*.cfg) for each node.

If a *.cfg does not exist it will then load from NVRAM.

Kinda wierd.

When GNS3 is first started you will have the option to "export configuration files." Unchecked by default. If this is checked it will export *.cfg files to the "configurations directory" (this can be set in preferences). And from there on it will save the startup-config to this directory.

Right click on a node to see where the *.cfg file is pointing to. I noticed that even tho a new project is started sometimes it points still points to the first projects location.

It's almost better not to use this feature. Just remember that *.cfg files overide the startup-config in NVRAM.
    WIP: can't decide.