Options

Pix Issue

mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
Hi all,

I've had some changes made to our pix, but things aren't working as expected.

We have a VPN device in our dmz with 3 acls that allow: ssh, http and https. There is also a static nat entry between the public ip and the dmz address.

I would normally post the config but I would loose my job if I did!

Anyway, a telnet session to the public ip takes you to what looks like the pix! Has a common mistake been made? Our pix is managed by a third party so not in a position to work with it directly , however I do have a copy of the config.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What is the problem? That you get a prompt when telneting to the public IP? If you want telnet disabled just ask the company that manages the box if you don't have rights to change anything.

If you have other issues I don't think we will be able to help you much without a config or at least a lot more information.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
    No problem, its difficult to explain the entire problem as it is work related and most of the useful info can't be posted.

Thanks anyway.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    If you change the relevant IPs, keys and passwords then I don't see why posting the config would be bad.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A Pix will not let you telnet to the outside interface without a VPN being made to it for this purpose, you would have to be on the far end of a VPN to it and Management Access would have to be set to a secure interface for this to work. Also can you clarify a bit, do you mean you have a separate VPN appliance in your DMZ and that the ACL entries are on the outside of the PIX to allow traffic to it, also is the public IP you mention separate to the PIX Pub IP itself or do you have Static PAT to redirect certain protocols from the PIX' interface IP to the VPN appliance?

Quickly you can do a SHOW NAMEIF and verify that the interface security levels are correct, SHOW TELNET to see what restrictions are in place for telnet'ing to the PIX itself on any interface (ACLs do not affect traffic to the PIX, only that which is passing through it)
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?