Options

Cisco switches...

2»

Comments

• Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Backplane refers to the internal bandwidth of the switch. Just because you have 24 Gb ports doesn't mean all of them can be fully utilized at the same time, it's limited by the backplane.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    kalebksp wrote: »
    Backplane refers to the internal bandwidth of the switch. Just because you have 24 Gb ports doesn't mean all of them can be fully utilized at the same time, it's limited by the backplane.

Ohh.. well I guess they're putting 6 strand fiber between 3 racks.
    I know if we go VoIP we need 12 strand.
  • Options
    SepiraphSepiraph Member Posts: 179 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I find it pretty deceiving to call it a Cisco switch when in fact it is a Linksys, even if Cisco do own them.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    tiersten wrote: »
    Netgear make some rackmounted GigE managed switches but the ones I've used are a bit weird in the firmware. I don't know how well the web only managed ones work.
    Random update:

This thread made me go take a look at the cheapo L3 Netgear we've got on the test bench and it seems to have died actually. I've no clue actually when it died because nobody really uses it. It gives an error about "Unknown box topology" and complains about unknown PCI IDs. Searching around seems to give me the impression that the failure rate is actually pretty high on this switch.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I've seen that Linksys switch in production before. It's not enterprise-level, that's for sure, but it's not a bad switch either. It's a decent gigabit dumb-switch. A former client of mine had two of them, and they'd only had an issue with a power cable that shipped with 'em. As far as I know, they're still running their entire network off those two switches.

So, the price is relatively low and you're not getting ripped off. . . nor are you exactly getting a great switch. It'll do the job of connecting machines together at gigabit speeds, and nothing else. Other than that, I can safely say that it's a decent SMB-grade switch that'll do you just fine so long as you don't bog it down with constant, heavy traffic. Hopefully, you won't get "lucky" and see a lot of issues with the device down the road. (Shell out the extra few bucks and get a warranty on the damn thing, and it should last you exactly as long as the warranty's valid. . . plus a day. icon_lol.gif )

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Well good news, between me and our network consultant we have managed to convince her that investing in a VoIP system is a need, not a want. (We have 25 copper lines coming into the building, yes 25 from the street into the building icon_lol.gif)

So we're going to be getting some nice Cisco hardware; and we're goingto be setting up a test environment for me. icon_thumright.gif

He agreed with me on almost everything, so I think that built some confidence for my boss in me. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    We have 25 copper lines coming into the building, yes 25 from the street into the building icon_lol.gif)
    They're all analog lines? They never heard of a T1? o.O
    So we're going to be getting some nice Cisco hardware; and we're goingto be setting up a test environment for me. icon_thumright.gif

He agreed with me on almost everything, so I think that built some confidence for my boss in me. icon_thumright.gif
    Thats great. Some new toys for you to play with ;)
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just curious how many users we are talking about here...
  • Options
    Just curious how many users we are talking about here...

Well the factory is about 200+ people

60 in the office, then there's a few phones out on the floor. Plus we're expanding (hence the renovations)