Options

When you offered a lower wage then expected

AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
So I was recently working out a wage for a job and I was offered a salary that was much much below my expectations. I expressed my concern and the offer was brought up a considerable amount but it was still much lower then I wanted, say like 20-30k less then what I was hoping for. I let them know this and they are going to see what they can do...

I'm sure people have run into this before and to me it is not worth taking the job even for the second offer that was presented.

I guess this is more of a rant, but any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated.
"Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    yes it's very disappointing, and never accept that job unless you get what you exactly want, because if you accept now, you will be frustrated later and don't accept promises that they will increase your wage
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Aldur, I don't say this often, but I think you should just give up. I'm convinced you're never going to get a new job icon_lol.gif

I think a more realistic goal for you would be to get all the CCIEs and become a networking celebrity ;)

So do you still have both offers, or did it fall to this place and they came up short?
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    And get everything in writing! No verbal agreements because they mean absolutely nothing. I actually looked at one of the contracts that I signed with a previous company and it specifically said that any verbal agreements prior to signing this contract were non-binding. Very sneaky. Anyhow, don't be afraid to walk, if the job isn't what you are looking for and you can afford to.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    yes it's very disappointing, and never accept that job unless you get what you exactly want, because if you accept now, you will be frustrated later and don't accept promises that they will increase your wage

very good advice UnixGuy, and that's how I definitely feel. If I took the job not getting what I wanted I feel that I would really regret it and I wouldn't do my best.
    dynamik wrote: »
    Aldur, I don't say this often, but I think you should just give up. I'm convinced you're never going to get a new job icon_lol.gif

I think a more realistic goal for you would be to get all the CCIEs and become a networking celebrity ;)

So do you still have both offers, or did it fall to this place and they came up short?

lol, seriously I feel the same way. I've had so many job interviews, so many jobs offered to me and they've all fallen through for one reason or another.

The other job offer is still there, and I will more then likely end up taking it if the first doesn't come through. Then I could always stay at my current work place, which might not be a bad idea, get some more experience and certs and ask for more later.
    undomiel wrote: »
    And get everything in writing! No verbal agreements because they mean absolutely nothing.

Very good advice, I'll make sure that I get everything in writting if things do turn out for the best, hopefully they do, but I honestly don't feel to positive about it at all.

-Bender
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Aldur,

I assume this is the job since youve reached the top of the juniper mountain and achieved the JNCIE? I can only assume there wage is comparitive to a CCIE?

If so i would start writing the pro's and cons. Sounds like a big gap between expectations on all sides. I dont know if you work at the highest level already but if you dont then it could be the valuable experiance you require to "cement" that status - then the extra cash could arise as a result. Or if you have the highest experiance and the certs then i would not go for it.

Previous folks have already said the stuff i would but i would add one thing. Maybe ask them if they would increment your pay on a yearly basis until you reach the amount you want.

Is this also the job where you are required to move to Canada?

Also generally, if i dont get that gut feeling about something its not a good sign about the job. Maybe you already know the answer to this one yourself. Talk it over with the wife if i were you. Remember this wont be the only opportunity out there for you mate! If your going to make a big move do it all for the right reasons otherwise you will regret it.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Good luck. If you are stable in your current position, just wait until you find the perfect fit. It is A LOT less stressful looking for a job when you already have one.

I always try to make sure that atleast the salary range is agreed upon before getting too far into the interview process. Why even waste your time to interview if you could possibly be 30-40K apart?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    This is the reason I have never agreed with not telling the employer a salary range up front. A lot of people give the advice to have them make the first offer, but then you end up wasting your time interviewing for a position you could have turned down the first day and saved everyone a whole lot of time. My advice is to be upfront with the employer and let them know you will only take an offer of a certain amount or higher. In my experience I have always been offered well above what I have asked and have always been happy with the outcome.

Good luck with the search! Like LarryDaMan stated its a lot easier to search for a new job when you are comfortable in the one you have. No rush, you can wait for the perfect opportunity.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    hol on...i thought you already had an offer from Time Warner, and you were waiting on Juniper to get at you. what happened with that?
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    nel wrote: »
    I assume this is the job since youve reached the top of the juniper mountain and achieved the JNCIE? I can only assume there wage is comparitive to a CCIE?

If so i would start writing the pro's and cons. Sounds like a big gap between expectations on all sides. I dont know if you work at the highest level already but if you dont then it could be the valuable experiance you require to "cement" that status - then the extra cash could arise as a result. Or if you have the highest experiance and the certs then i would not go for it.

Previous folks have already said the stuff i would but i would add one thing. Maybe ask them if they would increment your pay on a yearly basis until you reach the amount you want.

Is this also the job where you are required to move to Canada?

Also generally, if i dont get that gut feeling about something its not a good sign about the job. Maybe you already know the answer to this one yourself. Talk it over with the wife if i were you. Remember this wont be the only opportunity out there for you mate! If your going to make a big move do it all for the right reasons otherwise you will regret it.

yup, this job is a JNCIE level position and so it should pay around the same as a CCIE level position.

At my current postion I am is by no means the highest level, it's probably one of the more lower levels. The position I would be going to would be one of the higher levels, but not the top. It would be good to get that higher level experience with the extra cash and move on if needed/wanted.

Yup, this is the job in Canada so it'll be a huge move and so it has to be worth it.
    LarryDaMan wrote: »
    I always try to make sure that atleast the salary range is agreed upon before getting too far into the interview process. Why even waste your time to interview if you could possibly be 30-40K apart?

Thats excellent advice and in the future I will definitely follow it. There was nothing like the feeling of hearing an offer that was so far below what I expected.
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    hol on...i thought you already had an offer from Time Warner, and you were waiting on Juniper to get at you. what happened with that?

Yup, that was pretty much the scenario here. Just received the offer from Juniper and TW was in the background.

Although, I do have an update. I was able to work out a salary that was very close to what I was expecting. So it looks like everything is back to good and I'll be moving to the land where everything is frozen :D.

-Bender
  • Options
    zoidbergzoidberg Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats.
    guess that means we'll be working together a little bit afterall :)
    and thankfully it's significantly warmer now since your last trek to the great white north :P
    now if only i could figure out how to get myself jncie level pay too icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    zoidberg wrote: »
    congrats.
    guess that means we'll be working together a little bit afterall :)
    and thankfully it's significantly warmer now since your last trek to the great white north :P
    now if only i could figure out how to get myself jncie level pay too icon_sad.gif

for sure, I'm definitely looking forward to working with ya, even if it's just a little bit. The fact that somebody is up there that I know is more then enough. That's good to hear that things have warmed a bit, I was thinking it was going to get colder from when I was up there so it's good to hear that's not the case :D

-Bender