Options

Recommended Switches

surfthegeckosurfthegecko Member Posts: 149
Hi,

I have been advised that a good way to get to grips with the CCNA is to purchase a Cisco router/switch.

Advise given is that the Cisco 2514 is cheap and a good piece of kit to use, however I can only find this cheap in the States.

Does anybody know if there are any other 25xx models that couldbe an alternative,....or if anybody knows where you can pick these up for cheap in the UK?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    A 2514 is a router, not a switch. You will want a 2950 switch. I would imagine you can find Cisco gear on Ebay in the UK, just like you can in the US.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you're nearby, I'd see if you can do the free pick-up thing with this guy

5x CISCO Router 2600 & 2500 series LAB (CCNP CCNA CCIE) on eBay, also Cisco, Wired Routers, Networking, Computing (end time 28-Jan-09 20:12:47 GMT)

Not sure how high it will go, but if I was getting started with a lab and lived nearby I'd keep an eye on it.

Just an example of a good deal unless the price gets bid up astronomically.

:)
  • Options
    Thanks guys, so what should I try and get do I need 1 router and 1 switch, will this surfice.

I will look into the 2950 Switches, and the 2600/500 routers in the mean time.

What do you think to a 3620 SDM Router?
  • Options
    Oh, do I need routers with SDM Support, or is this just a nice to have.

Does the SDM support only come with certain models or is it more to do with the IOS?
  • Options
    If you're a good book learner you can probably get by without playing with SDM. Three routers and three switches would be ideal, IMO. You can probably get by with two routers and two switches, or even just two routers and one switch. If you use the Cisco Feature Tracker you should be able to find which models support SDM.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I hate to say this since I have always told folks to work with real equipment

I think you should spend a little time (and no money - use trial software) with simulators

Cisco kind of screwed me with their simulator based lab queries when I took the CCNA

Here's how I look at it these days

1. Know how to work on real equipment so you can survive if you get a job
    2. Get some worthless experience with simulators so that Cisco can't screw you with their bizarre simulation based cert questions

Sorry for being a bitter old man but I wasted $150 on my last Cisco cert because I was inexperienced with sims

Sad but true

I'm still a big Cisco fan but they reallly need to stop screwing people who actually have experience

:)
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There is a link in the CCNA FAQ to the Cisco Doc which has a table of the routers that support SDM. The 3620 has 2 slots for Network Modules, so if it doesn't include any, you don't have any interfaces (other than the console port and aux port). The 3620 maxes out with IOS Version 12.3. A 1721, which has the built in Ethernet port, is what I usually recommend as the cheapest SDM router.

There are also Home Lab/Simulator links in the FAQ. If you can't afford a good home lab -- which is 4 routers and 3 switches -- you can make some compromises to save money, but you lose functionality. You're not going to learn much switching with just one switch.

Something like the Boson Simulator is enough to get you through the CCNA, but people who've studied and worked with real hardware seem to have an advantage in the job interviews.

There are quite a few SDM configuration tasks listed in the exam blueprint, so you risk losing some points on the exam if you don't properly prepare. For the people without access to hardware, there is a link to an SDM Demo in the CCNA FAQ.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    as far as switches go, for the CCNA you can pick up 3x 2950-12's for like 65 bucks a piece if not cheaper.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    A handful of people in my department have the CCNA and after asking them what they recommended as well, they all said they didnt buy any kit, instead simulators were recommended.

Less messy, quick and easy, and you can get all different makes and model for the simulator.
    GNS3 came highly recommended and so I think I will start down this route before I get carried away.

I understand their may be a disadvantage when it comes to switching but I can probably find a spare switch at work to use along side the sims.

I think I will start off this way, and if I feel im missing some physical aspect then I can always jump on ebay and get to buying.

Thanks for all your inputs, I will definately use this information for the future should I need to.
  • Options
    Simulators are ok, and fine for the CCNA. Dynamips (GNS3) is an emulator, which actually allows you to load IOS into it and use all the features. Simulators are just coded programs that act like routers and switches, but the features are usually very limited and they tend to be buggy.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Netwurk wrote: »
    If you're nearby, I'd see if you can do the free pick-up thing with this guy

5x CISCO Router 2600 & 2500 series LAB (CCNP CCNA CCIE) on eBay, also Cisco, Wired Routers, Networking, Computing (end time 28-Jan-09 20:12:47 GMT)

Not sure how high it will go, but if I was getting started with a lab and lived nearby I'd keep an eye on it.

Went from £70 - £120 in the last minute. Lot of interest in that one. I was interested for the serial ports until I read the buyer collects from Slough though and there isn't no amount of money/cheap networking gear getting me to go to that cr*p hole again.

Building a home Lab
    Your best bet to get a general idea initially is to read through the link provided a little while ago by Kalebskp for Wendell Odum's blogs (He of Cisco Press official CCNA book author and Dave Lee-Travis lookalike fame) on building a home lab. Very good info. Be careful it doesn't get you obsessed with ebay.... <twitch> <twitch> I've got the Boson CCNP simulator but that post still got me building my own lab. That and some very rewarding skip searching where I work.

Read all the CCNA Lab blogs here CCNA Lab Main Post Summary | NetworkWorld.com Community

Also, do as Mike suggests and go through the FAQ. Lot of useful info in there provided by years of posts.
    Kam.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. Started reading that website, first blog was very useful.

I have also read a few of the pages from the FAQ from techexams.net and these have been useful.

I have already completed the first case lab so things are progressing smoothly.

I think I will still stick to GNS3 whilst obsourbing the FAQ/Tech Notes/Labs from here, and then in 3 weeks I will be on ICND1 training course for a week anyway, so will get to touch the real kit.

Fingers Crossed, it should all run smoothly.

Thanks to you all for the advice.