I bought a lab!

aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
This is what I have so far, is this well enough for CCNA? I know you guys get a bajillion of these questions a day so feel free to skip =)

Cisco 2610 (2x FE ports, 1x T1 CSU/DSU)
Cisco 2611 (1x T1 CSU/DSU)
WS-C3548-XL-EN (48 Port)
WS-C3648-XL-EN (48 Port)

Comments

• ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Looks pretty good, you might want to add a 2950 or two though. The XLs aren't very useful for current Cisco certs.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've got a couple 3524-XL-EN switches for the home network and like them over cheap unmanaged switches, but you definitely want to add at least one 2950 to your lab.

You still need a router that can run SDM -- something like a 1721 should do.

Probably toss an NM-4A/S in one of the 2600s to use as a frame relay switch and get WIC-1T interfaces for your hub/spoke routers.

I'm not sure if anyone has tried using the router acting as the frame relay switch as one of the spoke routers -- if that doesn't work you may want to get 1 more router (on top of that 1721 for SDM). Something like a 2509 that could double as a terminal server for your lab would be nice.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    Cool, thanks for the info, time to hit up ebay. I bought these from a coworker for 200 bucks (seemed like a good deal in comparison to ebay).

Best way to update the IOS is probably get someone in our networking dept to download the IOS from cisco for me? Or is there something easier?
    So a WIC 1T is 20-30 bucks. Should I just buy this? Cisco 2600 Series Router 2620XM + 1B U + WIC 1T Serial - eBay (item 380099241293 end time Jan-30-09 14:05:02 PST)

And either use the router or just take the card out and put in one of my others? lol
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    aordal wrote: »
    Cool, thanks for the info, time to hit up ebay. I bought these from a coworker for 200 bucks (seemed like a good deal in comparison to ebay).

Best way to update the IOS is probably get someone in our networking dept to download the IOS from cisco for me? Or is there something easier?

Why does the switch has so many ports?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    jbaello wrote: »
    Why does the switch has so many ports?

So you can plug in a lot of devices (48 to be exact).
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    So you can plug in a lot of devices (48 to be exact).

Lol well he bought it from a friend, I bought a switch before 2948G and the damn thing is loud as hell by the look of it, it consumes alot of electricity, I just think all those ports will not be used for home lab/practice.
    jbaello wrote: »
    Lol well he bought it from a friend, I bought a switch before 2948G and the damn thing is loud as hell by the look of it, it consumes alot of electricity, I just think all those ports will not be used for home lab/practice.

Yeah, I highly doubt they will all be used in a lab, but having extra ports is no reason to turn down a switch!
    Yeah, I highly doubt they will all be used in a lab, but having extra ports is no reason to turn down a switch!

Maybe electricity? the 2948G was as loud as my DL 380 G4 the noise to me is distracting when studying, it helps the environment as well :P
    Nah, I love the hum! After years in the military sitting in communications vans full of screaming equipment it kind of grows on you!
    hah, I just bought them because I got a decent deal on them.
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Only my wife complains about the noise of my gear

:)

She usually leaves me alone but now is a little annoyed with our 9-year old's gaming rig that I built. I think the sound of fans in the winter sets her off.

Anyway, Aordal's lab sounds cool so far

Mike's post reminds me that I seriously need to upgrade the router portion of my lab.

Thankfully PA state laws will protect me if the next round of layoffs don't include me. A long story but I am holding off on the next lab upgrade until I am sure I can afford it.

Good luck to my fellow techies as we all try to weather the upcoming economic storms.

Where's Bogie these days when all a guy needs is safe passage back to Key Largo?

Peace friends.
  • brandon1109brandon1109 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nah, I love the hum! After years in the military sitting in communications vans full of screaming equipment it kind of grows on you!

I can recall starting to fall asleep in tech school with that "hum" in the classroom....icon_lol.gif
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    aordal wrote: »
    And either use the router or just take the card out and put in one of my others? lol
    It's sold AS-IS (powers on, untested).... so if it stays cheap, it's probably worth bidding. :D

But if it had the output of a show version command or a picture showing the power light, it would probably sell for more. And they say it's a stock picture, so there is no guarantee you get one with a faceplate (which has some resale value itself). If it works it could be a good deal. If it doesn't, the parts may still have value (assuming someone hasn't stripped the memory from it and the power supply works, and the WIC-1T works).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!