Options

Doom 3, video cards, performance...some thoughts.

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
I've finally hit the point where it's time to build a new system. With the upcoming release of Doom 3, I can't bear to know that I can't play this game. I've been looking thoroughly at benchmarks and performance reviews. It seems without dropping $400 on a card, I'm left with two choices. The Radeon 9800 Pro and the GeForce FX 5900. Now...I want to know what some of you think about this.

In all reviews I've read, apparently GeForce kind of "gave" machines to idsoftware and others to benchmark the Doom 3 beta's. Guess who comes out on top in the Doom 3 benchmarks? Right, the GeForce card. I've been looking at other benchmarks though, and the Radeon 9800 Pro blows away the GeForce card by a ton, in every test. I want the highest quality card that I can get for the money. What are your guys thoughts on this. I'm thinking that the benchmarks could have been rigged in favor of Nvidia.

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. I have never had any major issues. I do overclock it a bit with Powerstrip, but it runs smoothly. I play Postal2, NFS, Far Cry, and a few other demos, they all look and perform fine. I've never had an Nvdia, with the succes I've had with ATI, my next will be the XT800. Way too much $$ now, but someday. Anyway, I wouold reccomend ATI, from my experience.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I'm thinking that the benchmarks could have been rigged in favor of Nvidia.
    It does look like that indeed, but perhaps the game is able to use some proprietary feature of Nvidia. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    halflife78halflife78 Member Posts: 122
    I am partial to ATI myself, but for more information on how the Radeon cards benchmark in games and other technical information you can visit here:
    http://www.rage3d.com/board/
    This way you can review all the information about atleast ATI.
  • Options
    I've reviewed benchmarks from almost all other popular games. ATI beats Nvidia every time.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I thought the GeForces went through a bad spell....I would go with the Radeon or an older GeForce, like 4800SE...But I'm pretty sure the latest GeForces had some issues...
  • Options
    The justification behind the Doom 3 benchmarks was that Nvidia's OpenGL drivers are much better than ATI's.

Since I'll be playing games other than Doom 3 though, I'll go with the Radeon card.