Options

Simulations...

...what are they? I hear them being mentioned but don't really know what they are. At least I don't think I know what they are, maybe I do but just don't know that I know. You know?
You are the systems administrator for a large enterprise that has decided to place computers in the lobby for access to public company information. On Tuesday morning Rooslan storms into your office screaming, "what the hell is this? In the last question I was the systems administrator. Now I am only a "Backup Operator"? This **** is crazy!"

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    aquageek wrote: »
    ...what are they? I hear them being mentioned but don't really know what they are. At least I don't think I know what they are, maybe I do but just don't know that I know. You know?

You're given a Windows interface with limited functionality, and you're required to perform some task.
  • Options
    aquageekaquageek Member Posts: 152
    Wow, really? How do they grade that? Are you allowed to make a certain number of errors - like opening the wrong properties dialog box for something, or does that lower your score, or... ?
    You are the systems administrator for a large enterprise that has decided to place computers in the lobby for access to public company information. On Tuesday morning Rooslan storms into your office screaming, "what the hell is this? In the last question I was the systems administrator. Now I am only a "Backup Operator"? This **** is crazy!"
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wow, really? How do they grade that? Are you allowed to make a certain number of errors - like opening the wrong properties dialog box for something, or does that lower your score, or... ?

You have to perform the task perfectly with the fewest possible steps in order to get full credit. Just kidding ;)

All that matters is that you complete the task. You can even reset it to it's original configuration if you feel like you messed something up. I'm not sure why people are so worried about them; they're really not that big of deal. As long as you work through the exercises in the book(s) you have, you shouldn't have any problem with them.
  • Options
    aquageekaquageek Member Posts: 152
    Ok cool, it's good to know what I'm going to be walking into. Thanks.
  • Options
    dvalenzueladvalenzuela Member Posts: 123
    Ok cool, it's good to know what I'm going to be walking into. Thanks.

I heard that there is no SIMULATION on this Examn (70-270). Please correct me!
    close to MCSA!!
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I heard that there is no SIMULATION on this Examn (70-270). Please correct me!

You are correct, it does not include any simulations.

Q. Which exams include performance-based items?

A. In the future, most Microsoft technical certification exams will include performance-based items. In 2005, Microsoft introduced simulations with Exam 70-290: Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment and Exam 70-291: Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure (core MCSA and MCSE on Windows Server 2003 exams). In 2005, Microsoft also released two simulation-based versions of Exam 70-293: Planning and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure and Exam 70-294: Planning, Implementing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Infrastructure to complete the core Windows Server 2003 track. In 2009, Microsoft introduces emulations with Exam 83-640: TS: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring. (This exam will gradually replace the current version of the exam: Exam 70-640: TS: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring). Some exceptions apply in selected regions. Please check with your local authorized testing center for availability.

Q. Which exams include performance-based testing items built on emulation technologies?

A. At this time, only Exam 70-640 includes emulation testing items. This exam is currently available in English only and in certain countries. Since the emulation testing items validate the same skills and knowledge as the multiple-choice items, there should not be any impact on exam preparation.
  • Options
    denzal2k4denzal2k4 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i was just about to start a post with the same question! so there is no emulation in this exam its literally just multiple choice? also how many questions are there and what percentage / number do you need to pass?

Would this exam be a good place to start, ive done no other exams yet but think i should start so i can progress in my career. Ive done an OND in computing and a HND in computing and am currently working as a field service engineer for an EPOS company. Hoping to get into a more administrative role in the future. Ive been looking through the technotes and CBT's and must say there excellent, thanks for all the great info!