i need some advice

bhs00bhs00 Member Posts: 70 ■■□□□□□□□□
ok here's the deal. Ive been talking with a recruiter about a contract job at Northrop Grumman doing desktop support. Its $3.50 more per hour and I really want it. I don't get off work until 4PM, and its an hour drive from work. They would want me to interview like right after lunch time (1,2,possibly 3). Ok I thought I could work over or take a sick half a day whenever that is. If I was hired they would want me to start Feb 9. That'd be less than a week after the interview. I really wanted to give 2 weeks notice. On top of that the recruiter called again and said there was another position that is the same thing basically but I would have to interview at 2 today!! I cant make up at least 3 hours tomorrow. Plus I dont want my boss to get suspicious. This kind of thing always seems to happen to me. What would any of you do on both situations??

Comments

• RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you are interested in the job, do what you can to go. Personally, I'd take sick or personal time.

Which base is it? Maxwell or Gunter?
  • bhs00bhs00 Member Posts: 70 ■■□□□□□□□□
    RTmarc wrote: »
    If you are interested in the job, do what you can to go. Personally, I'd take sick or personal time.

Which base is it? Maxwell or Gunter?

no idea. I really want out of where I am right now though. Im tempted to go home sick at lunch today to try and make the one today. I figured I would definelty do that with the one next week.

P.S. The job is in Huntsville so im guessing Redstone Arsenal. Im new to all this.
    Also, I called back the recruiter and the job interview today has already been lined up for someone else. He said it was 2 positions and a recruiter in Birmingham already snatched it up for his clients. But he said if the hiring manager didn't want them he would set me up for it.

Any desktop support/helpdesk positions in Birmingham you know about??
    The job fell through. They hired someone internally at NG. It gets very frustrating. Ive always wanted to work in Huntsville and I know there are some good opportunities there. I would be happy anywhere really though. I am thankful that I have a job, but I don't feel very secure adn there is no possibility in a promotion ever.
  • loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    That sucks! What do you do currently? help desk?

As far as recruiters go, you can sometimes say you cannot make the appointment at a certain time and ask them to change it. They usually will accommodate you as they get paid only if you get a job. I think usually it just goes like this. The company goes through the recruiter and asks them to lineup 5 candidates for them to interview. They say make them during this week and send them over. So as long as you say yes i'm interested in the job, line me up but let me choose the time. Usually they will give you like 3-4 time slots you can choose from.

Hope that helped somewhat.
    loxleynew wrote: »
    That sucks! What do you do currently? help desk?

As far as recruiters go, you can sometimes say you cannot make the appointment at a certain time and ask them to change it. They usually will accommodate you as they get paid only if you get a job. I think usually it just goes like this. The company goes through the recruiter and asks them to lineup 5 candidates for them to interview. They say make them during this week and send them over. So as long as you say yes i'm interested in the job, line me up but let me choose the time. Usually they will give you like 3-4 time slots you can choose from.

Hope that helped somewhat.

This is what exactly happened. There are only 2 people in the IT department at my plant. We both report to different bosses at the corporate HQ. The other guy (LAN tech) is on vacation this week. I was going to leave at lunch to make the interview and make the time up the rest of the week. But chaos broke out yesterday morning. The entire plant was down and I was on the phone with corporate trying to resolve the issue. By the time we got it resolved it was time for lunch and I didnt want to leave and get in trouble. Especially with potential problems going on. So I called the recruiter and asked for another time. We went back in forth throughout the day with possible times until he called me and said the employer ended up interviewing an internal cadidate and he was almost sure the guy would accept the contract. So thats how it went. Im trying to get to somewhere I can move up.

By the way, my job is making sure the PC's out in the plant are running by the way and doing upgrades and maintenance on them.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bhs00 wrote: »
    The job fell through. They hired someone internally at NG. It gets very frustrating. Ive always wanted to work in Huntsville and I know there are some good opportunities there. I would be happy anywhere really though. I am thankful that I have a job, but I don't feel very secure adn there is no possibility in a promotion ever.

That sucks. I was thinking this was for a Montgomery NG position.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    As a former recruiter, youre pretty much on the money. Either recruiter contacts an employer about a person of interest, or the employer calls and says I have this opening let me know what you have.

Recruiter sends over a stack of resumes via fax and or email. Me Employer says ok, gimme these 3, 5, whatever. I have times open at xx on xx days of the week. If employer hires one from the agency, they pay in two ways. If its a temp position, they usually bill DOUBLE what the employee is getting paid. If it is for a perm position, most agencies as for 1% per thousand of that new hire's first year salary and cap it at like 25-35%. So for a 65k job, the employer would pay out 22,750. That agency would get the most and their employee would pocket 10-15% of that.

Where it gets really sticky, is when a co. has an opening and they get flooded with resumes. HR weeds out people as non desirable. Then an agency sends over a resume direct to the hiring manager. If that person gets hired, the HR screams bloody murder that they wont pay a fee, as they saw them first. But yet, they disqualified them. Most negotiate a lower rate then.