Options

If you are by salary, do you clock in?

impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
How many of you get paid by salary and have to clock in?

No matter how many hours I work, I get the same money, b ut today I begin to received the news that we will begin to clock in like the people that work by hour.

Crap.
Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

Comments

• Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I haven't had to clock in anywhere I have worked in about 10 years. Lucky I guess...

I would suspect certain salaried employees aren't putting in their time or aren't getting their jobs done.
  • Options
    tornado42tornado42 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i have to clock in but its just to account for my time.... it doesnt matter if i clock in for 2 hours or 12.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I don't have to clock in at this job, but my last job you had to scan in and out with a badge. I don't think it was tracked for time though, but who knows. They are both salaried positions.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've seen clients implement this. Usually as a result of salaried employees working less than the agreed upon hours, or outside of the agreed upon times.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That is a possibility, that some people work less hours or the job is done, but some times like today I will work less hours but some times I have to work 12 hours. I am not affraid about to clock in but I feel some strange sensation about that.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nope, never had to clock in. Im a salaried position. We have swipe cards so they can see when you come and go if they wish. I know they have with some in the past.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    At the last job there was no clocking in, but we did have to log all hours worked.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I have to enter my time into a system but its mainly for billable projects and not for hour tracking even though we need to meet 40 hours in there.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    shednik wrote: »
    I have to enter my time into a system but its mainly for billable projects and not for hour tracking even though we need to meet 40 hours in there.

We have a tracking system too, but salaried employees only need to enter time off (vacation, sick day). Regular weeks they just enter 40hrs for you.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Some jobs I was required to keep an excel file with hours (for the purpose of AUO). Others I was a part time employee, but was paid the same every two weeks for 30 hours (I did make the 30 hours, but they didn't keep track). Sounds to me like they want to keep track so when layoffs come they know who wasn't doing their share.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    I have to punch in and it IS used to track hours. I get paid the same no matter what but I have to make up any time if my total work week doesn't come out to 40 hours. It's my first salary job, not sure if it's the same elsewhere. Get's annoying though, especially when working a 9-5 and it's impossible to make doctor appointments and things any other time and you have the leave the office for an hour or two here and there.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    NOPE...thank god...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284

+1

Government contractors are required to keep a timesheet that must be filled out daily or by 10 AM the next day and needs to include the project number. The contractor can be aduited at anytime for timesheets. It's not so bad once you get use to it.
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I've worked for places that demand I clock in to prove that I work 8 hours a day, and I've also worked at places that require I put anywhere from 5 to 8 hours of time on tickets per day to prove I'm working. I understand the reasoning, but it sometimes feels a little like being back in kindergarten, if the company gets on my case about coming ten minutes late, ignoring that I worked 16 hours over the weekend.

Thankfully, I now work for a company that doesn't have me clock in or demand I put time on tickets. I am expected to complete my work and show up within reasonable hours during the day. So long as I don't abuse these freedoms, I have lots of slack. When those freedoms have been abused by others, they've either been put on a short leash or been asked to leave/fired. (It's nice being treated like not only a professional, but also like an adult. :D )

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't clock in, but I do have to fill out an online form that breaks down how much time I spend each day working on various projects, supporting users, dealing with e-mail, etc.

Supposedly, the time we spend working on capital projects gets rolled into the cost of the project, which gets handled differently on the accounting/tax side of things.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    Deltek!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    SepiraphSepiraph Member Posts: 179 ■■□□□□□□□□
    We are on shift but we don't clock in. We do have a phone queue that we should log into though. Personally I never log out of it even if I'm on vacation.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□

100% identical to what we do.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    I share an office with my manager and we go to the same meetings...so, no need.
  • Options
    luckybobluckybob Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No clocking in here, although I do have to turn in a time sheet every two weeks. That is to make sure I get paid. It basically looks like this:

80 Regular hours

Signed by me!
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As an employer in the state of NJ I must keep track of the hours worked by any employee including salaried ones (manager or execuitive level are excluded). If you are asked to fill out a time sheet it could be due to employment regulations.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    Does anyone else have to make up time if you leave the office for an hour or so? Is that common practice or is my company just weird?
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    paintb4707 wrote: »
    Does anyone else have to make up time if you leave the office for an hour or so? Is that common practice or is my company just weird?

Only if we want to..but I'm hourly.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    paintb4707 wrote: »
    Yup, we have a type of honor-system that lets us do a six-hour day one day, and then do two nine-hour days after, or something similar to that. There is one very real drawback to not having a formal time-in/time-out system, and that is that things are so relaxed that I often find myself sitting here at work until 7pm or 8pm at night, chatting with people or helping out with some issue that could probably wait until morning. Since I don't really watch the clock, 5pm comes and goes most nights, before I leave.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote: »
    Yup, we have a type of honor-system that lets us do a six-hour day one day, and then do two nine-hour days after, or something similar to that. There is one very real drawback to not having a formal time-in/time-out system, and that is that things are so relaxed that I often find myself sitting here at work until 7pm or 8pm at night, chatting with people or helping out with some issue that could probably wait until morning. Since I don't really watch the clock, 5pm comes and goes most nights, before I leave.

It get's quite annoying, I wish it didn't effect me icon_razz.gif I rather take the hit in pay then have to sit around past business hours getting paid to do nothing.

I mean I see the fairness in it but what's the point of having a support type role sitting around past business hours when everyone is out of the office? Unless I have a particular project I'm working on, which hasn't been often lately. My work doesn't directly impact our productivity, ya know? It's not like if I skip out an hour from my 40 hour work week that we'll be backed up on orders or missing inventory counts.

Oh well, I still love my job and the company I work for so I'll stop ranting now. icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    NOCupNOCup Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Technically we don't clock-in but the call center application that we use pretty much allows the manager to know when we logged into the system. But I know he doesn't look at the logs because sometimes we forgot log in for hours until an incoming call went into the overflow line icon_wink.gif