Options

Talking about drivers license suspension during resume

BThomasBThomas Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Yes you have read it correctly. Though the bad deed to get the DL suspension wasn't bad but pure neglect. I got a ticket in another state lets say Mississippi while I am registered in lets say Texas. I recieved the ticket in MS and sadly and honestly forgot about it.

I was contacted by my car insurance company that I needed to clear it up ASAP of I would be dropped. They said my DL was suspended.

I contacted MS DMV and paid the ticket got a letter to fax to TX to clear up the suspension. I also paid a fee to get the DL reinstated. I was told by TX DMV and MS DMV that everything is cleared and I am good to go...however sadly this was not the case

I was pulled over for a minor infraction.....my wife was sitting in the middle seat of the truck.....the cop said it was distracting my view to the ride.....kinda dumb but whatever....He said that my DL was showing suspended.....I was baffled i explained him the back story and he just let me go without anything.

I called both states and come to find out TX DMV lost the paperwork that cleared me.....they forgot to call, write, email me about it for 1 year. I sent them the paperwork again and ensured I was cleared.

a couple of months later I got a new DL in the State of MS.....which shows as vaild

Now to the meat and potatoes.....

I am applying for a government contactor job that requires a security clearance...which I have....

Would something like this show up on a background check? which I am sure they will do.....

should I tell them up front? roll the dice and tell them only if they bring it up?

I really need a job....I have been unemployed for a couple of months now......

If I was able to get this job it would be a dream come true.......this company is the best gov't contractor company....

thanks everyone for reading this long post but I really need you help on this one

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd definitely tell them up front. If it comes to light, it's going to look pretty bad if you weren't forthcoming.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Did you mean "interview" here? I probably wouldn't list my suspended DL on my resume.

I would say this could very possibly turn up in a DMV check. However, when someone does a DMV check they are typically looking for a few things:

1) DUI or DWI, etc...

2) Evidence of regular and repeat offenses

3) Outstanding warrants, etc...

The other part of this is a criminal background check. DUI, DWI, etc. and other misdemeanors and felonies will appear on these checks.

I don't know about MS, but in Texas a traffic ticket is actually a court summons, and the misdemeanor for missing the court date in Texas is called "Failure to Appear". This will appear on your criminal record, and it sounds like that is what might have happened in your case.

My advice to you is two-fold:

1) As mentioned, be completely forthcoming and honest in a bonding or background check paperwork. Your best bet is to have something pre-written that explains the situation coherently, and includes any supporting documentation. This is much better than trying to explain it on the fly and expecting the person you're explaining it to to understand what you're telling them. Be heavy on evidence here...if you have some letter from Texas DMV stating that they lost the paperwork, make sure that you provide this. Verbal statements are fairly worthless.

2) Run a quick background check on yourself and see what comes back. In fact, it's not a bad idea for everyone to do this from time to time. Criminal and DMV records can be just as inaccurate as credit reports.

MS
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    For a government security clearance, you would most likely not need to worry about the situation that you just mentioned.

If the initial ticket was alcohol or drug related or involved a huge fine, then you may have to list it... even then, you should be good unless you have a pattern of similar tickets or behavior.

Here is the most common questionnaire used for clearances:

http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF86.pdf

Security clearances are not universal. Each agency can set their own policies and "tolerance levels". For instance, certain White House Programs are very very restrictive, but the Parks Department might clear someone with a felony. There are general guidelines for clearances, but the individual agencies set the policy.

Also, it depends on the position you are applying for. If you are applying to be a driver, you might need a spotless driving record.

Edit: I see you have a clearance already, but this post still applies to PRs (Periodic Reviews) and background checks. Search Google for "Adjudication Guidelines" for more info.
  • Options
    luckybobluckybob Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    TLDR: Put is on your application.

Since I have personal experience with this I will tell you my story.

I worked for a bank and could only be described by the careerbuilders.com commercial for the Superbowl. I was disgruntled one day so I decided to check out the job market. I found that the local power company was hiring for a Network/Server Admin (City Job). I applied for the job, mainly to release stress (only half filled out the app, and put a high starting salary, 20k more than I was making).

Low and behold they called me for an interview. I went for the interview, jot a call that afternoon with an offer. Of course with the higher pay I accepted the offer and felt like a million bucks (this was Thursday). The next day, Friday I was sent an e-mail from my hiring manager that a flag cam up in my background check and that they would not be able to offer me the position. I e-mailed him back to find out what could possibly be in my Background that would cause me not to get a job. I did not get a response before the end of the work day. All weekend I felt like crap, my wife doing her best to boost my spirits.

Come Monday I called to see what the deal was. I had to speak to HR, but found that I had a suspended license, and since I did not mention it on my application I was ineligible for the position. I called my hiring manager and explained the situation.

Back in 1997 I got a ticket for failure to avoid a traffic device, and no insurance (had insurance, but did not have new card in car). I took care of the tickets by showing proof of insurance at the court house, and deferred my ticket with Defensive Driving. Later that year I got a ticket for speeding and no insurance. Again, I took care of the speeding ticket with Teen Court (I was in High School) and showed proof of insurance to the court house. I thought everything was all taken care of. Well in late 2001 my underage brother, who was now living with me, got drunk at a party and was being loud in the parking lot. I went outside to take care of the situation and of course cops were called. He was arrested for PI and underage drinking. The officers cuffed me and ran my ID. They let me go, but told me my license was suspended. How in the world I thought.

Come to find out, a law was passed in 2000 that if you had two insurance tickets in one year your license was automatically suspended.

The next day I checked with the DMV and sure enough I had a suspended license. In 2000 a law was passed that if you had 2 insurance tickets in one year your licensee was automatically suspended. I called the local court house, paid my fines, filed my SR22, and waited my year to be free and clear of the issue.
    So this was why I was being denied the position, because of a paperwork screw up on the city I went to high school. I spoke with the hiring manager and explained the situation. He said he would see what he could do. He spoke with his manager and the CIO, and they said if I could show proof of my story they would reconsider me. I called the DMV for proof, but after 5 years they wipe their records. I called the local courts to get a paper trail of the situation, and again I came up empty. I explained all I had discovered to the hiring manager and luckily got the job.

I take this as a life lesson, put this on the application up front and explain yourself. It is much easier than going through the headache of not getting a position, or having to explain yourself with proof that might not exisit.
  • Options
    nangananga Member Posts: 201
    Ye, That would be good if you could let them know about this in short. There is always this small thing at the phase end of an interview, "do u have any questions for us "....thats the point where u shoot......Getting a ticket is not a big thing. Its normal for everyone to have a minor violation here and there. You can just give them a heads up telling them about a minor ticket goof up which will show up in the check. Let them know you wanted to be upfront since you dont want any them to be surprised wanted to them to be aware what that check result actually meant.

let us know how it works for us.
  • Options
    unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    Don't worry about it, unless they get specific, or the job you are applying for requires driving. Most companies will ask you up front in the application about criminal activity. I've seen a lot of different wording asking about all types of activity. I've seen where they just ask for felonies to any and all misdemeanors, or maybe if you have been arrested (no matter the reason). Just answer the questions honestly and to the best of your ability. If they ask for felonies, don't put down that you got one parking ticket. If you all ready have a security clearance that means you have all ready been vetted. Good luck. Are you in the DFW area?
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman