c4500 router

TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
Theres a ad for a c4500 router on craigslist in my area and I was wondering how old exactly is it? It has AUI ethernet connectors so I assume it's thinknet time frame.

Is it useless for a lab router or is it about in the same league as 2500 routers?

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/sys/1012832783.html

Comments

• mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I hear of many people using these routers as Frame Relay switches.

but if its any constellation, they can only run up to 12.2
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The shipping charges for these are usually what prices these out of the market.

If it's cheap and local and has some good interfaces it could still be useful and fun to play with.

They are nice for frame relay switches -- if the price (and shipping) is right.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would pass, it would only really be worthwhile to use as a frame relay switch as mentioned, and if it had the right interfaces which it doesn't. You would need to purchase NP-2T or NP-4T interfaces (2 port and 4 port serial) which a quick scan on ebay didn't yield many results, and in addition the NP-2T modules would require a different cable to connect (it has DB50 connectors), the NP-4T has DB60 connectors. I ended up with one of these that I picked up super cheap ($5) through a local university surplus store but after researching what I would need I passed on the idea.
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Alright thanks, it sounds like it's just to old to be useful.