Options

CCNA screwed up on first test

laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
Hi,

I am currently in the Cisco Networking Academy, taking the first CCNA 1 course in College.

Basically, I underestimated this course. We had a mini test for the chapter and didn't do too well. I read the chapter many times...However, the test in the cisco web site was very very challenging. Required to choose multiple answers and some of the material wasn't described from the textbook.

I really love networking, but is there another way to survive this course? recommend any books? etc
i'm currently using a textbook called: network fundamentals, CCNA exploration companion

thanks

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Check out the two ICND books from Cisco Press and the Sybex book. The CCNA flash card book, portable command reference book, Transcender, CBT Nuggets, and Train Signal are excellent supplements as well. I believe there's a CCNA FAQ sticky at the top of the CCNA forum, so you should probably check that out as well.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    laptop wrote: »
    I underestimated this course.
    A lot of people do.

What's your networking/computer background and experience?

Have you done any other certifications? Or is this your first?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    I'm currently reading the Cisco Press book for CCENT (ICND1)/CCNA written by Wendell Odom. He pretty much breaks it down into "networking for dummies" so it's really easy to understand. The chapters are pretty short and easy to read, I recommend it.
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    A lot of people do.

What's your networking/computer background and experience?

Have you done any other certifications? Or is this your first?

No industry experience. Only a diploma in information systems and a degree in commerce.

No certifications.

I thought CCNA 1 material was going to be simple because some high schools also offer these courses and there is a success rate. And this is only the intro course. I did only the first chapter test and didn't do well.

aordal, thanks for the recommendation
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I did only the first chapter test and didn't do well.
    I just looked at the 1st chapter/module of the Exploration 1 course online, and the 2nd chapter....

The good news is that the 2nd chapter/module doesn't seem to start off with an extended Cisco Commercial. :D

I'm not sure why companies think using a "cartoon interface" makes it easier to use their website. I just went through the course using the "next triangle" and realized I was missing some of the content by not clicking on the pretty pictures. And I nearly blew past the "summary answer these questions in your head and then check the answer section."

Make sure you're not missing anything in the online courseware, and do the activities (and later on the labs).

Don't start to panic until you go through a couple more chapters/modules.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know the feeling Laptop. I hardly have any experience as well and I'm preparing for the CCNA test. However if you can get your hands on a router or a Simulator (Boson or Network Visualize), it would help a whole lot, along with Practice questions and additional sources.
    Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup:
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Basically, I underestimated this course.

Like mikej said, I can completely see how that would be an easy mistake to make. I think I did a bit too before I started reading the material.

In all honesty, and I am not trying to discourage you because it is certainly possibly for you to do well in the class, I think it would be incredibly difficult for most people with no real world experience to grasp the concepts covered in the CCNA material.

Just thinking back to when I was first in school learning networking, I can't imagine being thrown into a CCNA class and trying to grasp the material, let alone understand it's application.

Hell, it's hard enough now at times and I've been working in the field for around 5 years now.

Check out the resources posted here, as they will help you immensely in your study.
  • Options
    brandon1109brandon1109 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    try cbt nuggets.....i would say it helps a lot.....it slowly brings you into networking.....
  • Options
    Morty3Morty3 Member Posts: 139
    Jeremy made me "catch the network buzz" which I think is extremely valuable. The books are 1000 times more intresting when you are really enjoying what you read, even though the cisco press books are a little... boring ;)
    CCNA, CCNA:Sec, Net+, Sonicwall Admin (fwiw). Constantly getting into new stuff.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing

I'm thinking about dropping the course . And start off with the basics comptia a+
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Thanks for sharing

I'm thinking about dropping the course . And start off with the basics comptia a+
    Don't let one test discourage you. Study hard, get some outside resources, and see how you're doing after a few more exams. If you still feel like you're not quite up to speed, then go for the A+ and Network+ courses instead. Good luck! :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote: »
    Don't let one test discourage you. Study hard, get some outside resources, and see how you're doing after a few more exams. If you still feel like you're not quite up to speed, then go for the A+ and Network+ courses instead. Good luck! :D

Alright
    I decided to stay in this ccna class for a few more weeks to see how things go.
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    No industry experience. Only a diploma in information systems and a degree in commerce.

No certifications.

I thought CCNA 1 material was going to be simple because some high schools also offer these courses and there is a success rate. And this is only the intro course. I did only the first chapter test and didn't do well.

aordal, thanks for the recommendation

laptop,

Given the abovementioned information, does your Cisco Networking Academy offer the "CCNA Discovery" curriculum?
  • Options
    laptop,

Given the abovementioned information, does your Cisco Networking Academy offer the "CCNA Discovery" curriculum?

No.

I believe CCNA Discovery was the old curriculum. A friend of mine completed that one in high school many years ago. He started the course with understanding topologies and layouts.

I`m doing CCNA Exploration right now. We started off with the OSI model and TCP IP model, then application layer, transport layer, etc

I don`t know if it makes a difference.
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    No.

I believe CCNA Discovery was the old curriculum. A friend of mine completed that one in high school many years ago. He started the course with understanding topologies and layouts.

I`m doing CCNA Exploration right now. We started off with the OSI model and TCP IP model, then application layer, transport layer, etc

I don`t know if it makes a difference.

laptop,

Actually, CCNA Exploration and CCNA Discovery are both current curriculums towards the 640-802 CCNA generation of CCNA certification exams. It is the "CCNA x.x" curriculums that are relatively old.

The difference between the CCNA Exploration and CCNA Discovery curriculums is that the CCNA Exploration curriculum is based on technologies and the CCNA Discovery curriculum is designed for those without the technical background. You can see the difference in the course titles for each curriculum as follows:
    1. CCNA Exploration
      1. Network Fundamentals
      2. Routing Protocols and Concepts
      3. LAN Switching and Wireless
      4. Accessing the WAN
    2. CCNA Discovery
      1. Networking for Home and Small Businesses
      2. Working at a Small-to-Medium Business or ISP
      3. Introducing Routing and Switching in the Enterprise
      4. Designing and Supporting Computer Networks

Since you mentioned your educational background is in "commerce," that's why I suggested that you try the CCNA Discovery curriculum instead of the CCNA Exploration curriculum. Remember that both curriculums lead to the same goal of becoming CCNA certified so it doesn't really matter which path you take.

Source:
    1. CCNA Exploration - Course Catalog - Cisco Systems - CCNA Exploration - Course Catalog - Cisco Systems
    2. CCNA Discovery - Course Catalog - Cisco Systems - CCNA Discovery - Course Catalog - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    Miikey87Miikey87 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tach-airman is right there is two different current streams towards the exam the discovery and the exploration. They take different approaches to the same content the discovery is a very much physical world look on the concepts where the exploration course is much more theory and how based concept.

I think i remember reading somewhere that the discovery was aimed towards to more help desk user centric roll and the the exploration was based towards more highschool, college/uni students as it covers with greater depth. I guess this could be debated as well.

If you want another perspective on the topics have a look at Todd Lammle CCNA study book or the CBT Nuggets video's. THE CBT Nugget's videos I found were the best way for me to grasp the different concepts as Jeremy applies them through annalogies well.
    :study: - Never stop learning

Completed
    Microsoft: 70-640,70-642, 70-646, 70-652, 70-653, 70-662, 70 - 681, 71-169
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA
    Citrix - CCA XenApp 6