Options

Questions about getting cert's

I've been studying MCSE for about 5 years off and on. My entire experience has been through books. I just moved where there is a testing center nearby. The last place I lived the closest testing center was 6 hours away and there was no jobs in my small town anyway. My plan is two-fold. I plan to work on CCNA and MCSA / MCITP Server Admin at the same time. So my plans are to buy a 2x CISCO routers and 1x Switch. I plan is to use my spare 2 computers to do setup a virtual network environment. I'm thinking about 1x MS Server 2003, 2x MS Server 2008, 1x XP Pro, and 1x Vista hosts. Each will be in their own network except for the clients. I'll have 3 VLAN's.

Is this the best scenario for passing all the test for MCSA or is there a better setup. The setup will consist of the following...

1 HP laptop
C2D
3 Gigs ram

1 Dell 8400 Desktop
Pent 4 3.0
2 Gigs.

1 CISCO 2501 Router

1 CISCO 2520 Router

1 CISCO 2912 XL Switch

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You'll probably want more than one 2003 server and one XP client for your MCSA studies. Why don't you just stick with those until you're done with your MCSA, and then migrate your lab to 2008/Vista when you're ready to move on to the MCITP: SA? Is there any reason why you're not going after MCSE/MCITP: EA?

For your Cisco studies, you'll want to swap out that 2912 for a 2950 (or better), and those three devices will only really get you ready for ICND 1. Ideally, you'll expand on that for ICND 2. Check the CCNA FAQ sticky in the CCNA forum.
  • Options
    ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
    I could do that but I thought I could focus on the MCSA on the MS Server 2003 VM. Then when ever I finished I could just work in the MS Server 2008. I see where you are coming from. I'll just set up a Server 2003 environment with XP clients. Then when I finish I will just upgrade the Server/Clients to 2008/Vista.

"Is there any reason why you're not going after MCSE/MCITP: EA?"

I will but I just sit my goal on one thing at a time. I'm just excited because I've been reading books about MCSE and never had a chance to do anything about getting certified. Thanks for taking the time to reply, dynamik.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    No problem. Just keep in mind that the upgrade paths to the MCITPs are going to be different, depending on whether you have an MCSA or MCSE. I think the MCSA is a good goal to set your sights on. You'll pick it up on the way to your MCSE (with a couple very rare exceptions). I'd encourage you to consider going on to the MCSE after that and then upgading to the EA. That'll cover all your bases. However, it obviously depends on your situation. If you find yourself working primarily on Server 2008 when you have an MCSA, it would probably be in your best interest to upgrade. The MCSA isn't as recognized as it should be, nor are the MCITPs since they are new. The MCSE is still the most recognized and respected. Also keep in mind that the A+/Network+ combination will count as an elective for the MCSA, but not the MCSE.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    ElvisG wrote: »
    I will but I just sit my goal on one thing at a time. I'm just excited because I've been reading books about MCSE and never had a chance to do anything about getting certified. Thanks for taking the time to reply, dynamik.

You'd be better off with MCSE 2003 than MCSA + MCITP: SA in most cases.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    I do believe you will also need to know IPv6 for the MCITP tracks. I don't know of the Microsoft books explain v6 very well.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics