Options

Access port set to nonegotiate causes issues?!?

adam-badam-b Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
So yesterday i configured an access port for one of our sys admins. After doing so he was not able to ssh into the box connected to this port from a different vlan. However, after removing the switchport nonegotiate setting he was able to ssh into the box without issue. So my questions is whether or not this was mearly a coincidence? How could the simple fact that the port is not generating DTP frames effect a system connected to an access port? Please share your thoughts on this curious situation. Thanks!

THE CONFIG PRIOR TO REMOVING "SWITCHPORT NONEGOTIATE"
#########################################
interface GigabitEthernet2/8
no ip address
speed 1000
duplex full
switchport
switchport access vlan 50
switchport mode access
switchport nonegotiate

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would be more concerned about the hard coded speed and duplex settings versus what was configured on the server for speed and duplex than the "switchport nonegotiate" command, I can't see where that would have caused the issue.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd agree with dt. You are going to have a really difficult time convincing me that nonegotiate caused any issues....
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The switchport nonegotiate command can be used if you manually set a port to trunk or if you manually set a port to not trunk (which of course is done with the switchport mode access command).

So hopefully the above blurb helps explain the command.

I don't think DTP frames can prevent you from using ssh instead of telnet.

But I'll offer some advice I learned in the old days when I was a typewriter tech:

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it".