Options

BGinfo problem

mipoukmipouk Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

At work we have set up a brand new server 2003 domain, and are now putting the finishing touches on it. However we are having a really strange / annoying issue with BGinfo.

Basically it only works for the domain admin account, or for a user who has local admin right on their client machine.

We have the GPO set correctly and have checked settings with another domain we manage. We have also checked the bginfo.vbs file and all is fine there ( it has to be because it works, albeit with admin rights).

When logging onto a client machine with a normal user, the background doesnt display but when running GPresult, the policy is being applied so to speak. As soon as you grant local admin rights and log out and back in, it appears.

We have never had this trouble before - Can anyone shed any light on this or anyone had this issue before?

I would have thought this is to do with permissions somewhere but have checked. Ive even granted domain users access to the netlogon share and tried. My virtual machines on my laptop at home also do the same thing? HELP!

cheers, Mipo

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do you have something else in place the blocks access to vbs files? What happens when you execute it manually under a normal user?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I take it you're calling bginfo from within the .vbs. What switches are you using? I believe some only work as an admin.

Edit: It looks like the /all switch is what does it.
  • Options
    Hi Dynamik,

Its weird how we have copied the below script from another domain, and it works fine on there. I havent got the /all switch, would i just pop it after the /silent?

Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    '
    DEFINE THE PROGRAM FILE LOCATION
    strExecuteFile = "\\mydomain.com\NETLOGON\bginfo.exe /TIMER:0 /NOLICPROMPT /SILENT"

'
    DEFINE THE CONFIGURATION FILE LOCATION
    strConfigurationFile = ("\\mydomain.com\NETLOGON\background.bgi")

'
    RUN COMMAND
    objShell.Exec strExecuteFile & " " & strConfigurationFile

cheers,
  • Options
    Sorry, I meant the /all is what causes the problems with non-admin users.

Why don't you take off /silent and see if it gives you any clues as to what the problem is?
  • Options
    Hi Dynamik,

Ive taken the /silent off and get an interesting error message when logging in with a non admin user.

"error creating the ouput bitmap file c:\windows\bginfo.bmp - access is denied. Please ensure the path exists and you have permission to write it"

Any ideas how i can grant access to allow this on all the domain pcs in the organisation?

cheers
  • Options
    Yea, you can use group policy, but you probably don't want to give everyone write access to the system directory.

Check out RT's script for ideas: http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/28233-bginfo-exe.html#post188920