Options

Traffic Shaping

e24ohme24ohm Member Posts: 151
Folks,
I am having problems with my users, and them downloading videos from sites that i need to have open. For example: when someone watches a flash video from open sites, the bandwidth is hosed. What applications are avalible that will traffic shape the download speeds, or throttle the speed that the traffic is pulled down?

thank you,
E
Utini!

Comments

• Options
    ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    what device are you using as your gateway?
  • Options
    ilcram19-2 wrote: »
    what device are you using as your gateway?
    It is a little combersome, because i have static NAT between: Internet <> Cisco Router <> Radware <> ASA <> Internal.
    Utini!
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The Router will have much more fully featured QOS options, the ASA just allows policing and a single priority Q. You could use Policy-maps on either device to ultimately set your options but the hard part will be writing correct class-maps to identify the exact types of traffic you're trying to block, and when you get into MIME types it gets very involved. I'd advised investing in a dedicated filter instead and simply block them from there rather than attempting to shape the traffic (with an inconsistency in their ablility to watch the low-priority content at times of congestion you will generate helpdesk calls over something relatively frivolous). You can clear the domains for sites where you would need to allow video access etc.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    The Router will have much more fully featured QOS options, the ASA just allows policing and a single priority Q. You could use Policy-maps on either device to ultimately set your options but the hard part will be writing correct class-maps to identify the exact types of traffic you're trying to block, and when you get into MIME types it gets very involved. I'd advised investing in a dedicated filter instead and simply block them from there rather than attempting to shape the traffic (with an inconsistency in their ablility to watch the low-priority content at times of congestion you will generate helpdesk calls over something relatively frivolous). You can clear the domains for sites where you would need to allow video access etc.
    I totally understand what you are saying about generating endless amounts of helpdesk calls. Management wanted to implement WEbsense, so now you can only guess what the out come was. What product would you recommend for a dedicated filter? Doesn't ms ISA, provides this function?

thanks
    E
    Utini!
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    How big is your internet connection? A lot of these devices will only handle X until you have to jump up to the next model. Packeteer/BlueCoat for example, licenses by MBPS.
  • Options
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    How big is your internet connection? A lot of these devices will only handle X until you have to jump up to the next model. Packeteer/BlueCoat for example, licenses by MBPS.
    I have 3 links which are 2Mbps EthernetLastMile each. 1 is a vpn truck, which serves other capabilities, while the others are dedicated for office traffic. I am working with my ISP to get eBGP, hmmm not sure if it is iBGP, anyway i'm working with them to get BGP routing working, so i can load balance my two links in both directions. What i hope to stop is the rogue piece of software that someone might use to upload documents offsite to hosting/production companies. Right now i have a design team who is uploading videos and they are killing the network. I am not sure how, but the uploads are saturation the bandwidth, so i want to be able to limit their upload speed to something like 56kbps.

thanks.
    Utini!