Options

Beep Codes

New UserNew User Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
Is it safe to assume that there won't be any questions about what a specific beep count means?
I ask this because beep codes can differ from one BIOS to the next.

Or, has anyone experienced a question on the exam that asked you to determine the meaning of a beep code?

For example:

What does it mean when POST fails and you hear a series of 8 beeps?
(a) ...
(b) ...
(c) ...
(d) ...

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    They can differ, but I don't think you'll have to memorize them. I didn't get any questions of such on my exam.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    spudnikspudnik Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I didn't get any questions on the codes, but then again I have needed to know them since then, so it can't hurt to learn them.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I ask this because beep codes can differ from one BIOS to the next.
    Links to the PDFs with the post and bios beep codes for AMI, Award and Phoenix (the latter two are the same) are listed in my CMOS/BIOS/POST TechNotes:

icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/cmos.shtml
  • Options
    New UserNew User Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the responses.

I'll probably try to memorize them, time and patience permitting.

I'm going to try and take the exam this Friday...Hopefully I wont wimp out and re-schedule. Last exam I took I probably re-scheduled 5 or 6 times.

Well, wish me luck.
  • Options
    spudnikspudnik Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    well good luck :)
  • Options
    lsealslseals Member Posts: 240
    Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    24 Hours in a day...24 Beers in a case...Coincidence?
  • Options
    TheCiscoKidTheCiscoKid Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I thought this was somthing they were getting away from in the hadware industry? When I built my PC last year the mother board I chose,an MSI, came with a PCI bracket with a series LEDs.The LEDs light up in certian sequences to indicate what the problem is, if the system fails to POST.
    You still have to know what the certian sequence means, or get out the MB manual.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I had a couple of MSI boards myself and I liked the led system... it means you doesn't have to learn morse to understand your computer ;)