Options

Server 2008 vs Server 2003 Route Table - Resolved..

thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
Mornin,

I have noticed something a bit strange that I am hoping is just normal server 2003 behavior.

Setting up a Dell MD3000i ISCSI storage device, and connecting it to 2 Dell PE servers. One is running Server 2003 SP2 32bit, the other Server 2008 64bit.
I have attached an image of the cabling scenario.

My issue is this:

The server 2003 box can only reach 2 out of the 4 ISCSI host ports on the device (one on each controller), while the server 2008 machine reach all 4 (however a ping is lost when trying to reach 2 of the host ports, so 3/4 pings are good, after that 4/4 will work until a timeout period expires, or so it seems).

So, I reviewed the local route table on each server, and both were very similar. All ISCSI host ports are on the same network, and each server has 2 NICS that show up in the route table. So... each server has 2 routes to the ISCSI subnet. It seems server 2008 is smart enough to say.. OK I can't reach the IP on the first listed interface for that network, so it tries the other interface (which works) and in server 2003, it only tries the 1 interface.

Does this make any sense to anyone? LOL

-Travis

Edit/Fix: So I decided to just make two subnets for this, so each controller on MD3000i would have a port in each subnet, and each connected server would have a NIC in each subnet.

Works now.. both servers can reach all 4 ISCSI host ports. Interesting how Server 2008 handles it differently though!