Options

Preparing for CCENT/CCNA

tenroutenrou Member Posts: 108
Hey,

In the next few weeks I'm going to be hitting the cisco track pretty hard with an aim to getting my CCNA. I'm fine with subnetting and OSI. My problem is that I've yet to do any solid work on Cisco LAN and WAN hardware. I've got packet tracer 5 and it lets me have a run through most of the stuff I've seen on CBT Nuggets but it's missing a few of the commands that the CBT instructor is going though. Is it going to be sufficent experience for the CCNA track?

Also I'm a bit worried that it's not going to give me any experience in IOS upgrades which I'd like to see. I'm not too familiar with how these work.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My take on it is that you are probably OK with the books and the sims for the CCENT

Once you get that, post back and I'm sure someone can help you get a lab going

And there is an FAQ on this site that is also helpful
  • Options
    mklaromklaro Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think you will be fine with packet tracer and reading study materials. I would set up a lab with a few routers and multiple networks and route between them. If you have your OSI model and especially subnetting down pat your on the right track.
  • Options
    jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    If it helps, I'm taking my CCENT at the end of the month and I've only used sims and the books. I use Packet Tracer 4.1 and Boson NetSim and between the two I've been able to do all the commands.

When I take the second test I plan on buying actual equipment in anticipation of getting a job in the field.