Options

Resume Critique Please

I've pasted my resume below.

Tried to follow all the tips and advice in other threads. (Certs and education at top, leave out objective, don't be over the top with detail, be consistent with dates etc.)

I have not been working for the last few months. Full time study for the CCNA.

The most recent job on the resume is my only pure IT role.

The date of completion for my college certificate is May 2009 because I failed some exams initially and my final two repeats are at the start of May.

Looking for some advice on cleaning it up and whether I should remove any of the older jobs. I think I need to word my tasks in the older jobs a bit better.

The contact details and dates are actually right-aligned when in Word.

Cheers.

John Smith

CERTIFICATIONS

• CompTIA Security+
• CompTIA Network+
• CompTIA A+ IT Technician
• CCNA - Cisco Certified Network Associate
• CWNA - Certified Wireless Network Administrator

EDUCATION

Higher Certificate in Computing in Applications and Support
National College of Ireland, Dublin (Completion Date: May 2009)

SKILLS

• Configuration and administration of Cisco routers and switches (2500 and 2600 series routers, 2900 series switches)
• Cabling of data networks including the building of ethernet cables
• Installation, configuration and administration of the following operating systems – Windows XP Pro, Linux (Ubuntu, CentOS, Slackware)
• Experience with various remote administration tools – LogMeIn, Remote Assistance, Bomgar, Remote Desktop, VNC
• Installation and configuration of software applications and hardware components

EMPLOYMENT HISTORY

Technical Support Administrator Nov 07 – Nov 08
Citadel Financial Advice Ltd.
• Over the phone technical support and desktop support for the companies main office users, branch office users and on the road financial advisors. Support was always provided in an efficient and courteous manner.
• Provided a timely resolution to software and hardware related issues. PC’s, laptops, wireless routers, cabling, in house software applications, general software applications
• Developed excellent working relationships with the companies third party providers allowing me to escalate issues to the appropriate personnel
• Involved in various special projects for the company
- Testing and installation of web conferencing software and subsequent training of said software to end users
- Testing and installation of hard disk encryption software for all company laptops
- Testing, reporting and priority support for a newly acquired branch office involving a large amount of out of hour’s support which I was happy to provide

Customer Management Support Representative Jun 07 – Oct07
Origin Energy
• Timely resolution of customer transfers and problems arising.
• Involved the use of in-house software (Siebel, MOE and MDH), which I was required to have a good understanding of within a short period of time.
• Updating customer tariffs.
• High level of Microsoft Outlook use.
• Various transfer exceptions to be completed each day.
• Helping to train new employees.

Technical Support Officer Jan 07 – Mar 07
Telstra
• Creating and updating Telstra’s graphical database of their coaxial network using the CPR2 software application. Required to meet daily and weekly targets which I always exceeded.
• Training and assisting new employees in the use of the CPR2 application.

Call centre operator Feb 05 – Feb 06
Phonenet
• Data Verification for record keeping
• Call Escalation
• Technical Support for broadband issues
• Inbound and outbound sales on varying campaigns
• Trained new employees and opened and closed the office
"There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think the people who suggest you leave the objective out say to replace it with a summary. You can make arguments for either, but you really should have one of them. I'm running out the door, I'll try to look at it again later.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    I'm running out the door, I'll try to look at it again later.

Finally, the new job has Dynamik preoccupied, maybe I can catch up in post count!

ConstantlyLearning: You should go into more detail on your skills, a hiringing manager is going to have no idea what a configuration of a 2600 is but may be looking for specific skills like "ospf routing"
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    This any better?

John Smith

Cisco Certified Network Associate
    Certified Information Technology professional with a year of industry experience involving the support of over 60 users, desktops, laptops, printers and network infrastructure.

CERTIFICATIONS

• CompTIA Security+
    • CompTIA Network+
    • CompTIA A+ IT Technician
    • CCNA - Cisco Certified Network Associate
    • CWNA - Certified Wireless Network Administrator

EDUCATION

Higher Certificate in Computing in Applications and Support
    National College of Ireland, Dublin (Completion Date: May 2009)

SKILLS

• Configuration and administration of Cisco routers and switches (OSPF, EIGRP and RIP routing, VLAN’s, STP, NAT, VPN’s, DHCP, WAN)
    • Efficient placement and configuration of wireless AP’s and wireless routers
    • Cabling of data networks including the building of ethernet cables
    • Installation, configuration and administration of the following operating systems – Windows XP Pro, Linux (Ubuntu, CentOS, Slackware)
    • Experience with various remote administration tools – LogMeIn, Remote Assistance, Bomgar, Remote Desktop, VNC
    • Installation and configuration of software applications and hardware components

EMPLOYMENT HISTORY

Technical Support Administrator Nov 07 – Nov 08
    Citadel Financial Advice Ltd.
    • Over the phone technical support and desktop support for the companies main office users, branch office users and on the road financial advisors. Support was always provided in an efficient and courteous manner.
    • Provided a timely resolution to software and hardware related issues. PC’s, laptops, wireless routers, cabling, in-house software applications, general software applications
    • Developed excellent working relationships with the companies third party providers allowing me to escalate issues to the appropriate personnel
    • Involved in various special projects for the company
    - Testing and installation of web conferencing software and subsequent training of said software to end users
    - Testing and installation of hard disk encryption software for all company laptops
    - Testing, reporting and priority support for a newly acquired branch office involving a large amount of out of hour’s support which I was happy to provide

Customer Management Support Representative Jun 07 – Oct07
    Origin Energy
    • Timely resolution of customer transfers and problems arising.
    • Involved the use of in-house software (Siebel, MOE and MDH), which I was required to have a good understanding of within a short period of time.
    • Updating customer tariffs.
    • High level of Microsoft Outlook use.
    • Various transfer exceptions to be completed each day.
    • Helping to train new employees.

Technical Support Officer Jan 07 – Mar 07
    Telstra
    • Creating and updating Telstra’s graphical database of their coaxial network using the CPR2 software application. Required to meet daily and weekly targets which I always exceeded.
    • Training and assisting new employees in the use of the CPR2 application.

Call centre operator Feb 05 – Feb 06
    Phonenet
    • Data Verification for record keeping
    • Call Escalation
    • Technical Support for broadband issues
    • Inbound and outbound sales on varying campaigns
    • Responsible for the training of new employees and opening and closing the office
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"