Options

70-640: Active Directory

Curious,

How difficult is this test?

Comments

• Options
    rterrasirterrasi Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took it 2 months ago. Before I took the test, I made the mistake of just reading through the Sybex book. I had scheduled my test then when I looked at other sources I saw other material that filled in the gaps. My experience was it was a tough test. Without violating any guidelines, my suggestion is to:

Go through at least 2 reference materials. I used previously mentioned sybex book and the MS Press book.

Practice Exam software.

Setup a lab and practice, practice, practice!!!!!!
  • Options
    AMD4EVERAMD4EVER Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took this test just over a week ago so I'll give you some insight on what I thought of the test.

Just to let you know my level of experience I have never used Server 2008 prior to studying this test but I have been in charge of over 20 servers all of which ran Server 2003 for over three years.

70-640 throws a lot of information out there to learn. You basically need to know every feature that Server 2008 has and some details on what ever feature does. That is a lot of information to cover! As rterrasi stated in the previous post the Sybex book doesn't cover all of this information. I happened to read the MS Press book and I'll also confirm that it doesn't cover all this information.

The problem I've found with just reading a book and going into a test is that the book is written more specifically towards getting you to understand that product than to pass the test. It might introduce you to some of the features that you'll need to know about and tell you a little about them but that is almost never going to be enough. You need to also have either years of hands on experience or a study guide that is more pointed towards preparing you for the specific test you are going to be taking.

The materials I used to pass included the MS Press book, the free MeasureUp software that came with the book, and the Transcender practice test and flash cards.

MeasureUp software included a practice test which I got only a 63% on after reading the book that the software came with! After studying the answers I got wrong on that test and doing the Transcender flash cards I took the Transcender practice test and got an 81% on that. Again after studying what I got wrong in that practice test I went to take the actual exam and scored a 925 which is about a 92%.

So in my opinion if you are like me and have limited hands on experience and are looking to have a good shot at passing I'd pay for the Transcender software or MeasureUp software at the very least.

Comparing the 70-640 test to both 70-620 and 70-622 which focused on Vista I'd say the 70-640 was slightly harder than either of those. I didn't happen to hit any simulations in the 70-640 test but the questions covered a HUGE amount of material which is to be expected since Server 2008 is a giant of an OS compared to Vista.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    rterrasi wrote: »
    Go through at least 2 reference materials. I used previously mentioned sybex book and the MS Press book.

Practice Exam software.

Setup a lab and practice, practice, practice!!!!!!

I think this is excellent advice, and definitely applies to just about any IT exam. icon_thumright.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    danzakadanzaka Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    and remmber what you learned here becuase some content is almost the same as in 647 ..