Options

Packet Tracer

adiolordadiolord Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everybody, I'm doing my first Cisco course in college right now.

The prof has us doing labs out of the brand new CCNA guide to cisco networking book using packet tracer to simulate the lab at school.

I've got the lab topology layed down and I thought I had the addressing scheme down to, until I realized I can't even ping my neighbor..

I was hoping somebody could either take a look at my packet tracer file, or help me out as much as possible...

thanks alot,
aL

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What interfaces? LAN? WAN?

If they are serial WAN connections, are they back-to-back? Did you set the clock rate on the DCE end? Is the encapsulation the same on both ends? What encapsulation? Did you enable the interface?

If they are LAN connections, are the routers connected back-to-back? Or are they both connected to a switch? Did you use the correct cable type (crossover or straight through) for whichever connection method you used? Did you remember to enable both interfaces?

Did you check the status of the interfaces?

Are you sure your addresses are in the same subnet?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    Would be helpful if you could post a picture of your topology.

Make sure you have CrossOver cables going between like devices like switches. Make sure you have a DCE/DTE cable going between routers using Serial Interfaces, and make sure you have the clockrate set on the interface that has the DCE end of the cable plugged into it.

There are some minor things you probably have to sort out. Nothing too big. If it frustrates you just start out with a smaller topology. Like with Two routers with a computer hooked into each and see if you can get the computers pinging each other.

Start out small, even if you are working with topologies from class.

Also you don't have to run out and buy real equipment to pass the CCNA. All you really need for it is Packet Tracer. Though don't get me wrong, nothing beats having real equipment to fart-around with!
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    adiolord wrote: »
    I was hoping somebody could either take a look at my packet tracer file, or help me out as much as possible...

thanks alot,
    aL

Cant help you without the file.
  • Options
    adiolordadiolord Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks alot for the responses... turns out I had the wrong RIP addresses on all the routers...

seems now as though #show ip int brief
    #show ip route
    are my new best friends...