Options

Can't ping from host to host on simple network

alejobalejob Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have two routers(A and B) connected to each other with a serial cable, they are using the 192.168.1.0 network. I have two PC's(host H1 and H2), each connect to a router through a console cable(for configuration) and Ethernet ports.
I'm sure I configured everything ok. Interfaces are up, protocols are up, I'm using RIP. Show ip route command shows that I have all networks up and running.

H1 connected to A
H2 connected to B

Now, when I ping this is what happens.
From router A I can ping everywhere.
From router B I can ping everywhere except for H1
From H1 I can't ping E0 on B and I can't ping H2(Both are on the same network)
From H2 I can't ping S0 and E0 on A and can't ping H1.

Now I'm supossed to have a hub between router A and H1 but I don't have a router so I just connected it through a crossover cable. I don't think that could be a problem since its just a hub. Any idea of what I'm doing wrong?

Comments

• Options
    Ok, I just figured it out. The PCs have two NICs, I disabled the ones that connected to the Internet and it worked. Duh! I've been at it for days now, I new it was something stupid. Is there anyway to have both enabled without this happening?

I had the same network up but with OSPF as the routing protocol and I got the same problems except I got some "network unreachable" responses instead of "request timeout" when I pinged. Must be the same thing though.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Yes you can. The problem is that the default gateway is set to to Internet. You will need to add static routes on the MH pc that point to the internal networks.

Check out this post for more detailed information:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=18239#18239
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i dont think that you can ping on s0 -> that is because s0 dont have any mac address ( it's the wan side of interface ). the only interface on a router that you can ping is ethernet ... so be sure to check your pc subnet -> it has to be match with e0 subnet... and if you want to configure much simpler way : set a static or a default route command to both network... have a try. :D
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    i dont think that you can ping on s0 -> that is because s0 dont have any mac address ( it's the wan side of interface ). the only interface on a router that you can ping is ethernet ... so be sure to check your pc subnet -> it has to be match with e0 subnet... and if you want to configure much simpler way : set a static or a default route command to both network... have a try. :D

You can ping serial interfaces...as long as they are up and have an Ip assigned...and the source of the ICMP packet knows how to get to the serial interface (static routes / Routing Protocol)
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    Cool, thanks!

In hyperterminal everytime I click the left, up, down or right arrows this symbols ^@ appear and the command is execute automatically. How do I turn this off? Thanks for the help :)