Options

Life after degree

nezzy456nezzy456 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I am due to finish my Masters MSc Computer networks in 8 months.
When I finish I plan to have my CCNA and A+ as well.

I have had 2 weeks of experience working with a networking company and 1 year in IT sales. I play around at home with web servers and e-mail servers and also have an interest in Linux and my dissertation is on wireless network security (mainly focusing on Wi-max).
(I also have a BSc in Biomedical Science but its pretty usless in this field I guess)

I have an interest in the design and building of networks and really enjoy the trouble shooting aspects.

Could anyone give me some ideas on the natural progression for me?

Should I be looking at graduate schemes? (they have dropped in numbers)
1st/2nd line support? (i wanna do networking not recover people passwords unless that is the only option)
General network engineering jobs?

My experience is pretty crap to be fair so any ideas on how I can improve my chances too.

(Lots of questions feel free to answer all, a few, or none)

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    The following is for networking, not systems...if you're interested in linux and servers, that's the systems route, but overall the same idea:

If you can find ANY position working directly with equipment for the duration of your school career, even an internship, it will help you immensely. Having that masters, CCNA, and experience will take you places quickly...but most of all the experience is what's going to get you somewhere. I'm willing to bet you can start first tier in a networking position working directly with equipment and quickly move to tier 2 for a few years gaining experience working with equipment and CCNP, then move to tier 3 and your performance will take you on from there.

Good luck.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    N+ --> CCNA --> Re-evaluate

Then maybe the MCSA/MCITP:EA

I wouldnt think too far down the road. Take it one chapter at a time. You may be able to get work with just your degree, so if you get the chance to get experience - I would always take that first.
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    brad- wrote: »
    N+ --> CCNA --> Re-evaluate

Then maybe the MCSA/MCITP:EA

I wouldnt think too far down the road. Take it one chapter at a time. You may be able to get work with just your degree, so if you get the chance to get experience - I would always take that first.

I agree with Brad's sentiment, except two things:

1.) If you KNOW you'll be working with Cisco equipment, go for CCENT instead of N+.
    2.) In your re-evaluation period, determine whether you like systems or networking. Some people end up going the route they don't like and it takes years to get back up the tree from moving over.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'm going to build on what's already been said, and recommend the following for you to consider as you plot out where you want your career to head:

Starting Out
    These certs will give you a set of rounded-out skills in each area they focus on, giving you the entry-level skills you need to prepare for higher-level certs without focusing on a particular vendor or another (necessarily).
    ~ A+, (if you feel it's worth it/if you want to).
    ~ Network+
    ~ Linux+

Networking
    You've got a couple of choices, here. The two most prominent are Cisco and Juniper, (Cisco being the more popular choice of the two).
    ~ CCENT/CCNA
    and/or
    ~ JNCIA

Keep in mind, both these vendors have higher-level certs, such as Cisco's CCNP & CCIE and Juniper's JNCIS & JNCIE. If you do one or both of the associate's-level certs, consider climbing higher with (at least) one vendor or the other.

Linux
    There are lots and lots of flavors of Linux out there, and you have a couple of choices of which to study and/or specialize in.
    ~ Red Hat offers one of the most popular Linux certs in the industry, the RHCE
    ~ Novell offers certifications on SuSE Linux
    ~ The Linux Professional Institute offers vendor-neutral Linux certs, ranging from beginner to expert.
    ~ While technically not on Linux, (Solaris is a Unix-variety,) Sun's SCSA and SCNA are also considered to be excellent certs to have if you want to be a *NIX admin.

And, since you didn't mention Microsoft by name, I'll leave you with the list of their current certs, should you be interested. Read up on the certs mentioned, poke around in the different threads on this forum, and see what best fits with your interests and goals. I wish you the best of luck, both in your academic and cert-related pursuits. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    2.) In your re-evaluation period, determine whether you like systems or networking. .

can't you go for both ? like working few years with systems and getting certs then switch to networking and do the same ? what do you think ?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    I'm going to build on what's already been said, and recommend the following for you to consider as you plot out where you want your career to head:

Starting Out
    These certs will give you a set of rounded-out skills in each area they focus on, giving you the entry-level skills you need to prepare for higher-level certs without focusing on a particular vendor or another (necessarily).
    ~ A+, (if you feel it's worth it/if you want to).
    ~ Network+
    ~ Linux+

Networking
    You've got a couple of choices, here. The two most prominent are Cisco and Juniper, (Cisco being the more popular choice of the two).
    ~ CCENT/CCNA
    and/or
    ~ JNCIA

Keep in mind, both these vendors have higher-level certs, such as Cisco's CCNP & CCIE and Juniper's JNCIS & JNCIE. If you do one or both of the associate's-level certs, consider climbing higher with (at least) one vendor or the other.

Linux
    There are lots and lots of flavors of Linux out there, and you have a couple of choices of which to study and/or specialize in.
    ~ Red Hat offers one of the most popular Linux certs in the industry, the RHCE
    ~ Novell offers certifications on SuSE Linux
    ~ The Linux Professional Institute offers vendor-neutral Linux certs, ranging from beginner to expert.
    ~ While technically not on Linux, (Solaris is a Unix-variety,) Sun's SCSA and SCNA are also considered to be excellent certs to have if you want to be a *NIX admin.

And, since you didn't mention Microsoft by name, I'll leave you with the list of their current certs, should you be interested. Read up on the certs mentioned, poke around in the different threads on this forum, and see what best fits with your interests and goals. I wish you the best of luck, both in your academic and cert-related pursuits. :D

The only thing i would like to edit on that is from my experiance the A+ and N+ is not highly looked upon in the UK. So i would skip these and start with the others.

Like others have said, try and conclude what you would like to do in your career and focus on certs towards that. You are already qualified to a high level academical level so concentrate on the techinical side now. In networking positions in NOC's or a cisco gold partner is ideal to start if you can get that.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    thanks for the info guys good to hear form people in the industry not just other students on my course,

Yea I think I really need to work on my technical side more.
    I think my interest lies more in networking than systems overall.

So my problem is I dont really know what job titles to be looking at and applying for;

e.g.
    I have seen a few "cisco certified engineer" jobs (would I lack the technical expertise to apply)
    But the job titles never seem to follow any pattern there are engineers, administrators, desigers, architechts.

Do you have any ideas of the titles which are commonly used for "entry positions" (positions attainable for my current level)? I understand this is quite an ambiguous question but if anyone has any input I would appreciate it.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    nezzy456 wrote: »
    thanks for the info guys good to hear form people in the industry not just other students on my course,

Yea I think I really need to work on my technical side more.
    I think my interest lies more in networking than systems overall.

So my problem is I dont really know what job titles to be looking at and applying for;

e.g.
    I have seen a few "cisco certified engineer" jobs (would I lack the technical expertise to apply)
    But the job titles never seem to follow any pattern there are engineers, administrators, desigers, architechts.

Do you have any ideas of the titles which are commonly used for "entry positions" (positions attainable for my current level)? I understand this is quite an ambiguous question but if anyone has any input I would appreciate it.

The title isn't really important as they change between companies. What you really need to be doing is reading through the job description and required qualifications. If those match it doesn't really matter if you are called an engineer or an admin.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    Also it's worth noting. If you read a job description and you think to yourself, "Hey, I could do those things and it's something I'm interested in." and then you see the requirements and they are crazy. Apply anyways, usually job requirements are crazy bloated.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    aordal wrote: »
    Also it's worth noting. If you read a job description and you think to yourself, "Hey, I could do those things and it's something I'm interested in." and then you see the requirements and they are crazy. Apply anyways, usually job requirements are crazy bloated.
    I have to agree here...job requirements are usually for their "dream" candidate, and when they make them lofty it can also be so that they have a verifiable excuse to hire/not hire someone. People will sometimes ask for a solid reason on why they weren't selected, and it helps to have a list to point to
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    aordal wrote: »

That makes me feel better as a lot of the descriptions make me feel very inferior :D
  • Options
    Tyson87Tyson87 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I am due to finish my Masters MSc Computer networks in 8 months.
    When I finish I plan to have my CCNA and A+ as well.

I have had 2 weeks of experience working with a networking company and 1 year in IT sales. I play around at home with web servers and e-mail servers and also have an interest in Linux and my dissertation is on wireless network security (mainly focusing on Wi-max).
    (I also have a BSc in Biomedical Science but its pretty usless in this field I guess)

I have an interest in the design and building of networks and really enjoy the trouble shooting aspects.

Could anyone give me some ideas on the natural progression for me?

Should I be looking at graduate schemes? (they have dropped in numbers)
    1st/2nd line support? (i wanna do networking not recover people passwords unless that is the only option)
    General network engineering jobs?

My experience is pretty crap to be fair so any ideas on how I can improve my chances too.

(Lots of questions feel free to answer all, a few, or none)

Thanks
    you wouldnt happen to be doing that masters in london Met by any chance?
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

BSc. Network Computing
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]
  • Options
    No mate,
    Im up in sheffield
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    No mate,
    Im up in sheffield

Sheffield? My home town.

I came out years back with a Masters in IT. Jobs were hard to come by without experience but eventually someone gave me a break in 1997. The degree helped me get a start there. Lots of desktop, server, application stuff there I had to learn on the job. It was quiet a challenge. I then moved into a more networking type job in 1999 where I also supervised the helpdesk at a company HQ. 2000 was when I really got the run of a shop concerning all it's Cisco networking when I became effectively IT Manager for a financial software house.

Getting the first gig in IT without experience can be problematic but you will get something if you plug away. I would advise that you really try to get as much hands on as you can for at least a year before you move into managerial or pre-sales/post-sales roles.

You will value that year if your career moves into a softer networking direction in the future as the exposure in the trenches can only help you. Far too many people in consultant/supervisory roles fast tracked away from hands-on work too quickly. In the end, many lose touch with the realities of implementation and support which can make their job (and everyone elses) much harder!

You will find that your degree will have more value once you have hardened it with plenty of hands on in the field. At least that's what I discovered. More of what I had touched upon at University found context as time went by and both work and Cisco certification introduced me to more 'real' networking.

Any job that gets you exposure to NOC/Cisco gear will help you. Even field work. A driving licence helps there.
  • Options
    Yea I got my driving licence a while back as I though I might have to travel a bit, I can see what you mean a lot of the stuff I am learning seems unconnected at the moment (and some of it technologically very deep) but when it comes to hands on experience hopefully it will start to come togeather.

I am a bit worried though as Shef doesnt have the same size city centre as lets say Leeds or Manchester
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yea I got my driving licence a while back as I though I might have to travel a bit, I can see what you mean a lot of the stuff I am learning seems unconnected at the moment (and some of it technologically very deep) but when it comes to hands on experience hopefully it will start to come togeather.

I am a bit worried though as Shef doesnt have the same size city centre as lets say Leeds or Manchester

Sheffield is a pretty big city imo. And ive seen quite a few jobs at different levels around that neck of the woods. Or at least jobs where you can commute from sheffield.

Sometimes to get what you want you may have to bite the bullit and move around a little. I had to move to Edinburgh to get that. Even now i have my first networking job i can see myself having to move back south to get the next step up. I dont have to of course but if i want to get where i want to get then i know it will happen at some point.

Have you considered moving?
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    I cant really move as my girlfriend has a permanent job...

So commute is really the option, it opens up Leeds, Manchester and Doncaster (maybe even Nottingham)
    Im sure with those cities I will have some options. If not I will be back doing the bar work lol!