Options

My backstory, looking for some advice

Miikey87Miikey87 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey ladies and gents,

Been reading on the forums while studying for exams and couldn't resist joining!

I'm starting to get the certification bug at the moment, i have just graduated from uni and well, cant stop wanting to study! Anyway I am after some guidance on where I should continue to certify (Im sure you hear this all the time) but I am interested all the same. Hopefully I don't bore everyone with my ammount of text im spilling out!

I have just graduated from my undergrad degree in Australia completing: A major in Internet Computing, Information Systems Development and a minor in Networking Fundamentals. I recently obtained by CCENT and should be CCNA'ed within a week, it really is just a refresher on the CCNA/CCNP course work I did through uni but never did the exams.

I have been working while at uni as a part time IT Support Officer in the city as tech support/troubleshooting for the last year and a bit doing some other admin work on Server 2k3, Exchange and our network infrastructure.

Im not to sure where I want to head career wise, but I do know I am not a very strong coder, I can code I just dont like too all that much! I do kind of like the idea of doing system/network administration and planning, system/network design and eventually project management.

I did a few months ago purchase some certification passes to access content to study with (looking back I would have rather done self study then waste the money) but it does give me a whole library of free IT books online to read and study, good for making the money back.

I purchased the following training Programs:

- Complete MCSE 2003 track
- Oracle 10 G Admin Cert Associate
- CCNP
- CCSA
- LPIC - Junior
- LPIC - Intermediate
- CSSA NGX

As I should be CCNA'ed very shortly, I am trying to work out where I should head next down the certification path. The idea of moving down to the MCSE is a daunting thought of 7 exams to study in which I would push all certifications back untill I had completed it.

I am tempted to either look at doing some of the CCNA specialty exams (wireless/security/Design *I like the idea of network design too*). I also thought it might be the time to do the CSSA NGX course as im just finnishing up a networking one at the moment! Also Linux could be a nice refresher as well, icon_cheers.gifso many choices!icon_cheers.gif Also after just reading on the forums that some of the A+ exams give MS credits? How easy would it be to complete the Network+ or the A+ exams given what I have been doing and know currently. Also interested in the project management exams as well, PMP is way out of my league at the moment.

I hope that my self motivating studies to continue educating myself will help my future job prospects showing initiative but will hopefully help me avoid being 100% baby sat in my break into the industry.

I am hoping to work on my short term exam study at the moment, as I am stepping out of the land down under and going away (first time out) on my own backpacking/travelling europe for a bit in about 5 months. So im hoping to complete some exams before I leave.

I would like to know from your experiences in the workforce, studying, certifying and generally living and breathing in the IT community if you where in my position, where would you place your next step?

Look foward to participating and learning lots from the community,

Michaelicon_study.gif
:study: - Never stop learning

Completed
Microsoft: 70-640,70-642, 70-646, 70-652, 70-653, 70-662, 70 - 681, 71-169
Cisco: CCENT, CCNA
Citrix - CCA XenApp 6

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome to the forums, Michael :D

I'll give you some advice that people always give me: quit trying to learn everything and specialize in something icon_lol.gif

If you don't know which direction you want to take, take some time off from "official" studying and just play around with things. Once you figure out what you like and what you don't, your path should be clear.

Also, look at the CAPM if you want to get started in project management.

Good luck with studying, work, and your trip!
  • Options
    Thank dynamik,

It is such a hard decision, im hoping when i return from my trip and can properly work full time, I will have a clear outlook of where I wish to go!

SO many things I want to do, and so little time!icon_cheers.gif

Completed
    Citrix - CCA XenApp 6
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Welcome to the forums :D

I think the best thing you can do is to find a job, and certify while working. It's really advised to certify on the technologies you have working knowledge on, like if you get a chance to work with Cisco equipments then doing the CCNP is really good idea.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    Welcome to the forums :D

I think the best thing you can do is to find a job, and certify while working. It's really advised to certify on the technologies you have working knowledge on, like if you get a chance to work with Cisco equipments then doing the CCNP is really good idea.

Wasn't he supposed to drop everything he was doing and focus on Sun?
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I certainly agree with dynamik, I would try to focus in an area that interests you and become an expert. I let myself become a jack of all trades, master of none while working in a mid-size organization with a very small IT staff so we were all kind of forced to know a little about everything but not having enough time to master anything very well. I've slowly worked on becoming what I consider a jack of all trades, master of some. Now I'm trying to figure out what area I want to really focus hard on and become an expert. The one good thing that came from working a job where I was exposed to a whole lot of various technologies is it was a great opportunity to get my hands on it and see if I would enjoy it.

Welcome to the forums, and enjoy your trip - sounds exciting - and make the most of it too... with a study schedule like you have you're not going to have another trip for a while :D
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    dynamik wrote: »
    Wasn't he supposed to drop everything he was doing and focus on Sun?

That would be the best thing he can do, but I tried to give him example of working in Cisco and getting CCNP, but it's better if he works with SUN and get Solaris certs that's for sure icon_lol.gif (j/k)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Welcome to the forums, Michael :D

I'll give you some advice that people always give me: quit trying to learn everything and specialize in something icon_lol.gif

hahahaha ... nice advise dynamik icon_lol.gif
    taken from a Minesweeper Consultant & Solitaire Expert # 20090001 icon_lol.gif
    i like that, mate :D
    If you don't know which direction you want to take, take some time off from "official" studying and just play around with things. Once you figure out what you like and what you don't, your path should be clear.

like dynamik said :
    just click Start > Program > Accessories > Games > Solitaire :D
    and have loads of fun :D
    Good luck with studying, work, and your trip!
    yup!! miikey, just enjoy the trip & take the best you can get - its all knowledge, and its wonderful to know lots of things - until then, the time will determine your specialization.

good luck!!!
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    I definitely need to work with some sun icon_cool.gif spend to much time indoors working/studyingicon_cheers.gif

I have worked and do work with Cisco in my current job which is enjoyable, I think the best thing to do would be to work on the entry certs while I am still here in the country. This would help me get a foot in the door so to speak when I get back for entry level positions and help me determine where I want to go.

Completed
    Citrix - CCA XenApp 6
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Miikey87 wrote: »
    I definitely need to work with some sun icon_cool.gif spend to much time indoors working/studyingicon_cheers.gif

I have worked and do work with Cisco in my current job which is enjoyable, I think the best thing to do would be to work on the entry certs while I am still here in the country. This would help me get a foot in the door so to speak when I get back for entry level positions and help me determine where I want to go.

Out of all the certs listed I would say Oracle offers you the most bang for your buck. If you already have some database design theory under your belt and you like databases consider looking at Oracle. DBA's can earn a lot of money and are always in demand. Three years of Oracle exposure could set you on the way to a fine income.

Cisco is fine too ;)
  • Options
    It wouldn't take long to get the Oracle cert, i did most of the study/work for it last year at uni. I would just need to refresh and cover a few more parts in depth. Wasn't to bad i enjoyed it as well, hell i enjoy pretty much everything :)

Completed
    Citrix - CCA XenApp 6