Options

HP workstation oddity

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
So I have an HP xw4600 workstation that I'm setting up for someone's classroom. It's to replace the instructors old computer. I got it hooked up and started imaging it, when suddenly halfway through the imaging process the screen goes black and the monitor goes to sleep. I tried waking the monitor, but it didn't want to get up apparently. icon_sad.gif

I rebooted. Tried again, same deal. I removed any external peripherals and it happened again halfway through using a completely different imaging disc(one I had just used successfully that day). Annoyed, I took it away for troubleshooting and did the following:
1. Tested it with good cables, a good monitor, etc and no luck. Still loses video halfway through the imaging.
2. I tried swapping the RAM, had the same problem regardless of what stick I had in the machine. Will run a memtest as well later.
3. Swapped the video card for another of nearly the same model. Same problem. I noted that both cards were really hot when I removed them...but they weren't smoking. I removed the CMOS battery and reset the BIOS to clear anything that might be causing a problem and as far as I can tell there isn't anything overclocked.

Now I'm going to try removing some internal components, in case the power supply can't handle the load of this machine. I just installed 11 others that were identical with no problems though.

Once or twice when booting the computer it gave me this Bootblock emergency recovery mode screen and beeped at me 8 times. The error was "The system BIOS image is corrupted. Searching for system bios image on disk/CD" Oh crap. Though if I remove my image CD and reboot then it goes away...so I don't know if this is a real issue.

Last resort, I always have the warranty. :/
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680