Options

rant: lowballing employers

jmanrtajmanrta Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just got done reading this ad on craigslist for a technical support consultant they list a whole slew of responsibilities PLUS a bachelors degree or 3 years experience all for a whopping 12 - 13 an hour. I almost feel insulted reading that. Do employers really devalue us that much? I almost feel like emailing them and asking them what the deal is with the low pay. Thats just disgusting. You can barely scrape by on 12 or 13 an hour.

Now I could understand if this was entry level, but none of this seems entry level, all the responsibllites plus a bachelors degree

ugggh
Level 1 Technical Support Consultant
12.00 - 13.00/hour
To ensure proper computer operation and internally develop application support so that associates can accomplish business tasks.

* Field incoming help requests from end users in a courteous manner to ensure customer requirements are met.

* Record and document the help desk problem solving process, including successful and unsuccessful actions that were used to solve the end user issue to ensure efficient and effective company and department operations.

* Prioritize and resolve help desk requests by following established procedures, including escalation when necessary, to ensure company and customer requirements are met.

* Set up and maintain users on the computer system to ensure proper access to and protection of the internally developed applications.

* Access available resources on the internet for problem resolution to ensure the end user issues/problems are solved accordingly.

* Perform hands on repairs at the desktop level, including but not limited to installing and upgrading software and hardware, implementing backups, configuring systems and applications, and installing anti-virus software to ensure the system is running in the required manner.

* Perform preventative maintenance by checking and cleaning workstations, printers and peripherals to ensure effective performance.

* Identify and learn appropriate system and application software, and hardware used and supported by the organization to ensure optimal customer service.

* Test completed help desk repairs by performing post resolution follow up to ensure preventative measures are available for future issues.

* Access software updates, drivers, knowledge bases, and Frequently Asked Questions resources on the Intranet to aid in problem resolution.

* Develop and test disaster recovery plans and backup plans by following plan specifications to detect any faults and to ensure each plan is functional.

* Develop Frequently Asked Questions help sheet to improve self-sufficiency of end users.

Required Skills: Knowledge of basic computer hardware
Experience with desktop and server operating systems including Microsoft
Good understanding of organizational goals and objectives
Attention to detail
Proven analytical and problem solving abilities
Exceptional customer service skills
Team oriented
Required Education: Bachelors Degree in related field or 3 years equivalent experience Required Tests: WPM, Word, Excel
Overtime Required:
Occasional Assignment Days: M - F Assignment Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 5:15 p.m.

Level 1 Technical Support Consultant

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jmanrta wrote: »
    Do employers really devalue us that much?
    Um, yeah.

It sounds like basic helpdesk -- and there's lots of qualified unemployed people who need a paycheck who are probably willing to take it.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Um, yeah.

It sounds like basic helpdesk -- and there's lots of qualified unemployed people who need a paycheck who are probably willing to take it.
    If it's basic help desk then why are they asking for a 4 year degree or 3 years experience? I could have done that job right of high school.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The unfortunate truth in all of this is that as Mike pointed out, there are a lot of qualified people out there who would take the job - I'd even go as far to say there are probably over qualified people who would take it. From the employers perspective, it's in their best interest to cover the position as cheap as possible - especially for a basic helpdesk role since a lot of people getting started in IT use such a role as a stepping stone and typically aren't going to be a very long term employee anyways.

I always joke with friends and family that by time my son gets through high school that a bachelors degree will be required to land a job flipping burgers at McDonald's. That's a bit of a stretch, but I honestly think it's not too far from the truth. To me it seems like a college education is becoming such a norm that eventually perhaps a masters degree will be the big ticket to set yourself apart from the rest.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't think that ad is asking a lot and is about what I made doing that same job. I was a field tech is two school districts and I have done all of that stuff for 8.50 an hour and then 12 an hour. They didn't require a degree, but all the people who worked there had degrees or were pursuing a degree. I did troubleshooting over the phone, went to classrooms to fix computer, updated software, help with disaster recoveries, and documented all the work completed. Pretty standard field tech position and pay...or at least for NJ...
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    To me it seems like a college education is becoming such a norm that eventually perhaps a masters degree will be the big ticket to set yourself apart from the rest.

yay more student loan debt all to (most likely) end up working an entry level job that barely pays the bills let alone student loans

Many of you may not like what I am about to say but I was on social security because I have a severe mental illness however with meds and therapy I am able to function well enough that I am able to work. Since my condition is chronic I can go back on SSDI for up to 36 months after my trial work period ended.

With all that said I am proud of myself for overcoming my problems and getting back to work however with the way things are, employers requiring higher credentials for lower paying jobs and no sense of job security, it just doesn't seem worth it and I'd just rather not work or just work part time.

Sorry if I sound negative but I am in a very discouraged mood tonight.
  • Options
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    I don't think that ad is asking a lot and is about what I made doing that same job. I was a field tech is two school districts and I have done all of that stuff for 8.50 an hour and then 12 an hour. They didn't require a degree, but all the people who worked there had degrees or were pursuing a degree. I did troubleshooting over the phone, went to classrooms to fix computer, updated software, help with disaster recoveries, and documented all the work completed. Pretty standard field tech position and pay...or at least for NJ...

ya my first job was an unpaid internship then a job making 9 an hour part time with no benefits then 12 hr with benefits.

I understand everyone has to pay their dues however none of those jobs really required a degree.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    see in this job description, they only expect you to have basic hardware knowledge, and basic desktop knowledge.

I know people with BS.c, and 4+ yrs of experience who can only do this basic support and who really don't want to do anything else ! I know a lot of people who just don't want to get in the headache of networking or servers and want to do basic helpdesk tasks, and it's a matter of ability, not everyone out there is willing to take responsibility.

the low pay, I think it's because the responsibilities, and of course they will be happy if they can get someone with 4 yrs experience.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well I would use this time that you are either not working or working part-time to go back to school. I know NJ is really good about paying some or all of the costs for job training when you are out of work. Perhaps your state will do that as well! But I will say that you would be one of the few people I am ok with receiving SSI. At least you went back to work and tried! My mom is a special education teacher in a poverty type school district and everyone of her kids receives SSI and each parent is on welfare with an average of about 4 kids (not every parent, but majority). Some of the parents are really abusing the system, such to the point that they live together, but aren't married so they can collect more money by being a single mother. All that and somehow they drive an Escalade...with expensive rims. So good luck with whatever you do!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The number of graduates has spiraled worldwide over the last 10 years. It's only natural that any employer would like to snare graduates if they can get them because of the perceived benefits of having degree level people in the workplace. It's not uncommon for entry level jobs in any field to be low paid straight after University. Many graduates do retail or advertising for a while until they get a break and that can be low paid like many other sectors. I suppose the best advice for any graduate is to knuckle down and get the best grades you can at College that way you might be lucky enough to be fast tracked by a company into higher rates of pay starting out.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    The college degree is probably just a paper requirement. Judging from the description it really does look like entry level help desk. It's the same rate I was making for my very first tech support job too.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Threads like this pop up from time-to-time, and it seems like the consensus is that the requirements are just a wishlist for their ideal candidate. They're not usually set-in-stone requirements.
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jmanrta wrote: »
    If it's basic help desk then why are they asking for a 4 year degree or 3 years experience?

Very educated help desk?:)
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    dynamik wrote: »
    Threads like this pop up from time-to-time, and it seems like the consensus is that the requirements are just a wishlist for their ideal candidate. They're not usually set-in-stone requirements.

exactly, more then likely they'll take somebody with 2 years experience and no degree.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Probably just an inflated requirements list, coupled with the fact that they know people will take what they can get right now - so competition in your area may be high.
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    I know people right now with degrees that are waiters/waitresses, if that helps the OP.
  • Options
    oo_snoopyoo_snoopy Member Posts: 124
    I made less than that in my first tech job, I only made 10/hour.

I'm going to judge here some so forgive me:

10 dollars of hours is plenty of money if you don't have a house or have a kid/kids. Novel idea! Don't buy a house until you have a great job. Also, wait on having kids as well. I understand things are different if you're laid off but people fresh out of school need to work on their life planning skills.

And yes I lived on 10 dollars and hours and I felt flush with cash. I was however employing wise life choices that let me live within my means.
    I used to run the internet.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Employers are going to see what they can get away with. They want to see how low they can pay the most qualified people before we catch on. There will be someone out there with a Bachelor's degree and 3-5 years' experience and an alphabet-soup of certs after their name that will take this job. So long as suitable candidates apply for these crap-jobs, companies will keep trying to cut more and more benefits/pay/etc. from these jobs.

Now, the converse is also true, seeing as how my last four jobs have all required a Bachelor's degree and 3 years experience at minimum, with certs and specialty-skills as "nice-to-have" kinds of things. As for me, I had my MCSA and Security+ for the first one, my Linux+ by the time the second rolled around, and CCNA for the third. Right now, I'm working on getting my MCSE, upgrading to MCITP, doing CCNP, and finishing an Associate's degree next year. My pay-range is mid-level for California, (having ranged from $35,000 per year to $55,000 per year,) and I've been considered a mid-to-senior level admin in each company I've been with. These things go both ways, so don't get fooled into thinking job-postings are written in stone.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    BigTex71BigTex71 Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    With the economy in the tank and people getting laid off left and right, most companies realize they will get someone with a good education and experience to work for less because of the glut of displaced workers. SOMEONE will take the job who is more desperate than you. That's the way they think.
    A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCSE | CCNA

Currently working towards MCITP: Enterprise Admin

Current Title: Network Administrator

Actual Job Functions: Network / Server / System Administrator, Tier-3 Help Desk, Jr. Project Manager, and "The Closer"
  • Options
    unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    I work for a very large government contractor. In periods like this the help desk tightens down and will only hire college graduates. I see it would be a valuable way of getting your foot in the door for the right company.
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    IT pay in my area is pretty low, but the employers know that there really isn't much of an IT job market here and people will take what they can get. The only reason I'm still here is because I don't want to move too far away from my family.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]