Options

Idea for bachelor Thesis ?

SettSett Member Posts: 187
Hello. This year I will finish my bachelor degree in Telecommunications. At the end I need some thesis with practical realization. I have the idea my Thesis to be for the MPLS networks.
I am not very deep in that field, but I plan to hit the books hard to be ready with the realization until October (when it must be done).

However, I do not how to the define the exact topic for the Thesis and I have to choose it in 3 weeks. Can you help me with some exemplary topic for a MPLS Thesis. It must have some research part and need to have some test results at the end. For example:

If the topic is for a QoS techniques I will need to provide actual results how the traffic flow is affected by the different QoS techniques.

It is not enough just to build an MPLS network and show the config of the routers - you must explain what problem you have solved with it.

I am not sure that I have explained the issue sufficient enough, I will be glad to respond on some of your questions.

Excuse me if my question is inappropriate in any way.
Non-native English speaker

Comments

• Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Well you picked a very large topic to provide a thesis on...but part of it sounds as if they are looking for more of a practicum if you have to physically apply the study...either way I would start reading heavily into MPLS read every published document you can find...if you want to stay cisco centric find a possible security hole, weakness, or method for improvement in the transport. I know the very basics of MPLS myself and see there is many area's you could dive into....I ran a quick google search for rfc MPLS and came up with a load of results....check some of those out and figure out what area you'd liek to focus on...

rfc MPLS - Google Search
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    I think it would be interesting if you could benchmark a MPLS network (either real or simulated) and show the results for a specific problem.

Gather statistics on some quanitity in the network with and without MPLS. Show that the MPLS network is better for solving a problem. Make sure your results are statistically significant.

For example, build a network and stream video through it with and without MPLS. Measure packet latency or loss. Inject additional routes or random traffic. The question you ask is "Does MPLS make a HD video network more scalable?" Run the test, record the quantities, do a statistical analysis.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How about the security implications of an MPLS network vs a private leased solution? I know many companies where this is becoming a huge concern since the MPLS network is a shared network.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    dtlokee wrote: »
    How about the security implications of an MPLS network vs a private leased solution? I know many companies where this is becoming a huge concern since the MPLS network is a shared network.

That would be an awesome topic I think if you have any interest in security if it hasn't been addressed much in about a year or so when i do my capstone for my masters this may be what I research.