Options

Got three offers within a month

coax31coax31 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
I turned down one offer flat out, accepted another job for 56k/year but got offered another position Friday for 72k/year, might have to take this one. I think the recession has not hit IT fully yet or we never fully recovered from the .com/9-11 bust enough to be affected by the current depression. Don't give up on your job search, I had 6 interviews before these offers that sent me nice fat rejection letters, it is a numbers game get as many interviews and applications out as possible and a few may bite.

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! What will you be doing?
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Congratulations!!
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats,

whats the job?
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    both jobs are for a systems administrator, well the title for the 72k job is systems adminstrator 2
  • Options
    manny355manny355 Member Posts: 134
    so your the one who beat me out for that job...lol...just kidding

Congrats on the new job.
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Take the 72k like 72 k is like 20 years ago 50k you will be livng good
    ;)
    great job man
    way to stick in there
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Congratulations! That's awesome to feel so wanted. Feel free to send some jobs down this direction. :) Though I did have an excellent interview today.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    Yup, go with the 72k post unless the other one offers more job security or something like that. In these times it's important to remember that it's business, and money comes first. When times get tight, think the same way, and you won't be too hurt if you end up having to be cut for financial reasons. Play the game by their rules.
  • Options
    1MeanAdmin1MeanAdmin Member Posts: 157
  • Options
    Well the 56k/year job is a network administrator position for a local city, really good benefits and security I hope. The 72k job is a systems administrator 2 for a private publically traded company that has been in business since 1979 and they are integral part of the country's 911 emergency system. I am sort of torn between the two my father and friends says stick with the lower paying city job because it is stable and go for a higher paying job when the economy gets better, but I want the money now. I already started the city job and would feel guilty about quitting for the higher pay, I hate to burn bridges. What would you guys and gals do?
  • Options
    luckybobluckybob Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    coax31 wrote: »
    Well the 56k/year job is a network administrator position for a local city, really good benefits and security I hope. The 72k job is a systems administrator 2 for a private publically traded company that has been in business since 1979 and they are integral part of the country's 911 emergency system. I am sort of torn between the two my father and friends says stick with the lower paying city job because it is stable and go for a higher paying job when the economy gets better, but I want the money now. I already started the city job and would feel guilty about quitting for the higher pay, I hate to burn bridges. What would you guys and gals do?

I know the feeling. I currently work for the city, and although the pay is not what I think I should/could make, I have no fear of ever loosing my job. I get excellent benefits for my family, good retirement (TMRS), and yearly raises. I got a 9% raise last year and looking at a promotion next month. (To be fair I am a 120% guy, busted my ass to get ahead.)

Once the economy is back on the rise I will come away from the city job with more knowledge, more certs, and more experience to look for the higher paying job. I was planning to bail out the beginning of this year, but decided to wait at least a year before looking else where.
  • Options
    BigTex71BigTex71 Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You are in an interesting situation. I would keep the city job, personally. It is not cool to leave a place right after you start. But I would mention to your boss that you have the other offer, but tell them you like your job with the city. This may net you a faster raise. Or your boss could say they wouldn't mind you taking the other position because they have someone else from the recent interviews they could call back. But I wouldn't flat out just leave the city job.
    A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCSE | CCNA

Currently working towards MCITP: Enterprise Admin

Current Title: Network Administrator

Actual Job Functions: Network / Server / System Administrator, Tier-3 Help Desk, Jr. Project Manager, and "The Closer"