Options

CCNA Exploration

itisyeahitisyeah Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Has anyone done this?
I am 50% of the way through the course (Living in a Network World & Routing) but I must admit am finding a lot more effort than I anticipated.
It's taking nights a week (tutorial and labs) as well as much study at the weekend.
I feel it may be going a bit into too much detail.

Comments

• Options
    NeekoNeeko Member Posts: 170
    It's not designed to be easy, CCNA has a lot of information to take in, especially if you are new to networking which most are when they start studying the curriculum.

Study it properly and put in the hours, you'll know your stuff and when it comes to the exam you shouldn't have too many problems. Like with anything, that approach is just common sense.

I personally end up digging a lot deeper with routing and switching than I need to, which has it's benefits and drawbacks. Benefits being whatever I dig deep on a protocol I end up knowing it well. Drawbacks being it takes longer and I end up bypassing the more boring stuff that is still as important.

In conclusion, it isn't easy but at least you'll know your stuff if you past the exam(s). Sorts the men from the boys icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What would be the point of getting the cert if it was easy? Then everyone would have it!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have said this before and I'll say it again. The CCNA was the hardest of all of my certifications. Once you actually understand networking the rest is easy. It's getting up to CCNA speed that is the hardest.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    The CCNA is absolutely worth your time. The knoweldge you will gain will serve you well while in the IT world. I'm not sure as to what your experience is but I think you might be surprised as to how ignorant a lot of IT people are in regards to Networking, probably because it is more difficult to learn conceptually than a lot of other certifications.

I studied for 5 weeks, putting in about 120 hours of self-study to learn and pass the 640-802 on my first try. It was difficult but looking back on it, I would definitely do it again.
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012