Options

Generic user account

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

Several user's log into a generic account on several PC's in this particular dept in my work. It maps the desktop and my documents to a V drive. The desktop icons and files are same on all as its all mapped to same V drive

Is it possible to create a folder on this V drive that once clicked will ask for a password, reason being is that even though its a generic account, user's still need to keep there files from being deleted from the My Documents folder

This could be one of those strange anomolies where there is no answer

Single user account would be the answer so they each have there own home folder but that cant happen in this department so all they have is a V drive that all PC's and user's have access to

Hope i havent confused anyone its been a long day

Lee H

Comments

• Options
    mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
    You're going to need some sort of authentication at some point so that the users can be authorised for their folder.

You could perhaps create individual domain accounts and set the security for each of their home drives, then leave a batch file or vb script that maps to their home drive prompting for a username and password. Obviously the user will need to be trained to disconnect 'their' network drive when they have finished using the machine.

Just an idea.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    When you say "Single user account would be the answer so they each have there own home folder but that cant happen in this department so all they have is a V drive that all PC's and user's have access to" you'll have to give us more info.

Why isn't your dept using their own logins ? If you say department, that implies lots of departments which implies large organisation which in turn imples one of these departments is an IT department who, in this day and age, could sort this out for you in 30 seconds flat if you used seperate user logins as you are aware.

With one user account for all you get nothing but grief.
    Kam.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Why can't the department use individual accounts rather than a shared account? Perhaps it would be easier to overcome this barrier than it would be to implement the solution you desire.