Options

ICND1 practical - How to go about?

kakoli_basukakoli_basu Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,
I am studying for ICND1. Since my background is engineering, some of the concepts of networking were covered in masters. So initially, I started as self-study. Now, that I have come to LAN switch 2960, I understand that just reading from the book won't do. Is there any switch simulator available so that I can install in my PC and run the commands?
Or, should I go for practising with the real switch, as might be available with some institutes who run the CCNA course?

Regards,
Kakoli

Comments

• Options
    bryantstewartbryantstewart Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Switches are hardware based and routers are software based if I understand correctly. It is pretty much self preference as to going the simulator or the actual hardware route. I prefer to go crazy by listening to those loud 3524XL fans while practicing personally.
  • Options
    kakoli_basukakoli_basu Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello all,
    Has anyone had any experience of passing CCNA/CCENT by using only switch-simulator and router-simulator?

Regards,
    Kakoli
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There's a section in the CCNA FAQ about simulators:
    icon_confused.gif: I don’t have any equipment should I buy a Simulator?

People have passed the CCNA using just the Boson Simulator -- it's enough to get by and pass the exam(s) with. But it may put you at a disadvantage when you go for a job interview and are competing with people who've actually studied with real hardware (home lab, work lab, school lab, work experience).

There's also a simulator that will be available from Cisco Press -- but the delivery date has slipped a few times and they now only have the CCENT portion available (with a limited time offer to get the ICND2 portion for free when it becomes available). Info about that is in the http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/32953-finally-good-simulator-ccna-study.html thread.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!