Options

Is this equipment good enough for home lab? Suggestions?

I saw another Help Me Build my Lab thread but I didn't want to highjack that, so here I am.

I'm thinknig of buying some networking equipment to help create a lab environment to study for my CCENT and CCNA.

I currently own:

1 Cisco 851W Router (Brand new with all accessories)
1 Cisco 2514 Router
2 Cisco 2950-24 Switches
1 Black Box 19" Network Rack

EDIT: REFER TO LAST POST

Comments

• Options
    yanks4everontopyanks4everontop Member Posts: 106
    Since my 851W router is still new in box (bought it for $320), I'm considering returning that so that I have an extra $300 to spend on my overall lab. From what I understand, I can get a few 2600 routers and 2900 switches for $300. With $500-$600 I'm wondering what I can put together.

Jeez I'm so torn. What to do, what to do.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Id stay away from 2900XL switches and go with the 2950s.
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'd say that kit is worth around $50. Kits are almost always over priced. Read this: CCNA Lab Main Post Summary | NetworkWorld.com Community. It will give you a good idea of what equipment you should be looking at for a home lab.
  • Options
    kalebksp wrote: »
    I'd say that kit is worth around $50. Kits are almost always over priced. Read this: CCNA Lab Main Post Summary | NetworkWorld.com Community. It will give you a good idea of what equipment you should be looking at for a home lab.

Thanks for the link. How many routers/switches would you recommend I get for a home lab setup? I've got about $600 to spend.

EDIT: Found this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=280312443122. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    What you buy depends on what your goals are. I would say three 2950 switches and three routers (3640, 1721, or 2600XMs are good choices) would be good for CCNA material. Remember to budget for WICs, most of the good lab routers have an ethernet port, but you'll want serial interfaces as well (3640s don't have any interface built in).
  • Options

Way overpriced. The only switches that you should buy, in my opinion, are 2950s and possibly 3550s.

I forgot to mention to ignore the pricing in that link I posted, you can find much better deals.
  • Options
    Way overpriced. The only switches that you should buy, in my opinion, are 2950s and possibly 3550s.

I forgot to mention to ignore the pricing in that link I posted, you can find much better deals.

Yea I figured it was overpriced I just can't seem to find any great deals. The 2950 switches run about $100 a piece it looks like. The routers alone in that listing seem to run $150+. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.
  • Options
    Switches are easy: http://cgi.ebay.com/Cisco-2950-Catalyst-24-Port-Switch-WS-C2950-24_W0QQitemZ250372443875QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCOMP_EN_Hubs

The routers can be more difficult, if have to have them now you're going to pay more. If you have some time and patience you can find good deals.

EDIT: I put the wrong link in there the first time.
  • Options
    Switches are easy: Cisco 2950 Catalyst 24 Port Switch WS-C2950-24 - eBay (item 250372443875 end time Feb-14-09 19:15:38 PST)

The routers can be more difficult, if have to have them now you're going to pay more. If you have some time and patience you can find good deals.

EDIT: I put the wrong link in there the first time.

Thanks, I guess I'll just need to keep on looking.
  • Options
    Ok I have a 2514 Router and 2x2950-24 switches. First off should I keep the 851W router or return it ($300)?? What is a better option, 2620xm or 3640? Is 2 routers + 2 switches enough for CCNA??
  • Options
    I'm dying here, really need an expert opinion. I want to get everything ordered by the end of the day today.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd go with three 2950s.

I'm kind of leaning towards returning the 851 since you can get a 2-3 more devices with that money.

Are you looking at building something that will take you through the NP as well, or just the CCNA?

If I were you, I'd buy a nice 2600XM, and then use that IOS with dynamips/dynagen for your other routers.
  • Options
    Most of the information you need to decide what to get is out there, you just have to look for it. You'll get a much better understanding if you research this stuff a bit yourself. There are also many posts here about building labs, they're a great place to find more information.

As for selling the 851W, that's your call. It doesn't have serial interfaces and it's switch doesn't support VLANs, so it's limited on what you can do with it. But it does run the latest IOS and it supports SDM.

For CCNA studies the 2620XM and 3640 are pretty equal. The 3640 is faster, which is nice when reloading the router because it doesn't take as long. It also supports more features necessary for higher level exams like MPLS (if you plan on doing CCNP). As I said before, both of those routers need NM and/or WICs to provide serial and Ethernet interfaces (the 2620XM has one Fast Ethernet port).

Three switches are preferred for studying STP (which is a big part of CCNA). You can get by without it if you don't have the budget.
  • Options
    StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    I would go with 2600 routers and 2950 switches.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    I'd go with three 2950s.

I'm kind of leaning towards returning the 851 since you can get a 2-3 more devices with that money.

Are you looking at building something that will take you through the NP as well, or just the CCNA?

If I were you, I'd buy a nice 2600XM, and then use that IOS with dynamips/dynagen for your other routers.

Yes I want to go on to CCNP after the CCNA. I was thinking of getting a 2600xm and a 3640 but I'm not sure if I need both or if I should just get 2 2600xm's or 2 3640's. In either case, what kinds of interfaces are recommended for either of the two?
  • Options
    You usually want 2 serial interfaces +1 eth/fasteth per router except one router which should have at least 3 serial interfaces so it can be used as the frame-relay switch.
  • Options
    Stotic wrote: »
    You usually want 2 serial interfaces +1 eth/fasteth per router except one router which should have at least 3 serial interfaces so it can be used as the frame-relay switch.

Well I could use the 2514 as a frame relay switch could I not?
  • Options
  • Options
    Stotic wrote: »
    yes you can

Sweet. So would you suggest the 2600xm series or the 3640 or maybe 1 of each? I think I'm gonna sell my 851W to afford two more.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You usually want at least 3 serial ports on your frame relay switch so that you can setup a hub and spoke configuration. You could setup 2 25xx routers together to get that -- or just go for a 2520 or 2522 (or use an NM-4A/S or NM-8A/S module in a 26xx or 36xx series router.

Here's a recent thread that I'll be adding into the home lab section of the CCNA FAQ during the next update -- http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/38753-questions-about-different-routers-home-lab.html

I think there's probably a thread in the CCNP where I mention that if you're planning for you CCNP lab now also, then make sure at least one of your CCNA routers can run MPLS (and add the 2nd one as your 5th router for the CCNP lab -- since I usually suggest 4 routers for the CCNA).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    You usually want at least 3 serial ports on your frame relay switch so that you can setup a hub and spoke configuration. You could setup 2 25xx routers together to get that -- or just go for a 2520 or 2522 (or use an NM-4A/S or NM-8A/S module in a 26xx or 36xx series router.

Here's a recent thread that I'll be adding into the home lab section of the CCNA FAQ during the next update -- http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/38753-questions-about-different-routers-home-lab.html

I think there's probably a thread in the CCNP where I mention that if you're planning for you CCNP lab now also, then make sure at least one of your CCNA routers can run MPLS (and add the 2nd one as your 5th router for the CCNP lab -- since I usually suggest 4 routers for the CCNA).

Well if you had the following criteria, what would you do with it?

Objective: Build CCNA/CCNP Home Lab
    Budget: $500-$600
    Devices already owned: 2514 Router, 2x2950-24 Switches

If you could include what WIC's, NW's you'd put in the routers you choose I'd GREATLY appreciate it. I don't know too much about all this stuff yet, I just want to get it all and then go to town.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Well if you had the following criteria, what would you do with it?

Objective: Build CCNA/CCNP Home Lab
    Budget: $500-$600
    Devices already owned: 2514 Router, 2x2950-24 Switches

If you could include what WIC's, NW's you'd put in the routers you choose I'd GREATLY appreciate it. I don't know too much about all this stuff yet, I just want to get it all and then go to town.
    For the frame relay switch:
    1x 2610 - $50
    1x NM-8A/S - $70

2610 + NM-8A/S because it is usually cheaper than a 2522 which is overpriced most of the time.

There is a 2610 + WIC-1T going for $45 with no bids and ending very soon as well on eBay.

There is also a 2610 + WIC-1T + WIC-DSU-56K + NM-8A/S for $129.99 BIN. Bit low on RAM/Flash in the 2610 but it'll do as a frame relay switch.

For the routers:
    2x 2610XM or 2611XM
    or
    2x3640
    2xNM-1E2W or 2xNM-2E2W or 2xNM-2FE2W or 2xNM-1FE2W

3640 will let you do some of the MPLS labs for CCNP.

2610XM or 2611XM depends on whether you want 1 or 2 fast ethernet ports + pricing.

What NM you get for the 3640 depends on whether you want 1 or 2 ethernet ports, whether they're fast ethernet or just ethernet and whether you can get a good deal on it or not.

Everything else:
    2x WIC-1T
    2x DB60-DB60 DTE-DCE cable

DISCLAIMER: I'm in the UK as it says over <--- so these may or may not be good prices for the US.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    For the frame relay switch:
    1x 2610 - $50
    1x NM-8A/S - $70

2610 + NM-8A/S because it is usually cheaper than a 2522 which is overpriced most of the time.

There is a 2610 + WIC-1T going for $45 with no bids and ending very soon as well on eBay.

There is also a 2610 + WIC-1T + WIC-DSU-56K + NM-8A/S for $129.99 BIN. Bit low on RAM/Flash in the 2610 but it'll do as a frame relay switch.

For the routers:
    2x 2610XM or 2611XM
    or
    2x3640
    2xNM-1E2W or 2xNM-2E2W or 2xNM-2FE2W or 2xNM-1FE2W

3640 will let you do some of the MPLS labs for CCNP.

2610XM or 2611XM depends on whether you want 1 or 2 fast ethernet ports + pricing.

What NM you get for the 3640 depends on whether you want 1 or 2 ethernet ports, whether they're fast ethernet or just ethernet and whether you can get a good deal on it or not.

Everything else:
    2x WIC-1T
    2x DB60-DB60 DTE-DCE cable

DISCLAIMER: I'm in the UK as it says over <--- so these may or may not be good prices for the US.

So my 2514 router is useless? Btw, EXCELLENT information.
  • Options
    So my 2514 router is useless? Btw, EXCELLENT information.
    Nope. You'd connect that to the frame relay switch as well.
  • Options
    Nope. You'd connect that to the frame relay switch as well.

Nice. When you said everything else: 2xWIC-1T, 2x DB60-DB60 DTE-DCE cable, you're referring to modules and cables for whichever 2 additional routers I get? That's in addition to lets whatever NM's I choose for say the 3640's?
  • Options
    Nice. When you said everything else: 2xWIC-1T, 2x DB60-DB60 DTE-DCE cable, you're referring to modules and cables for whichever 2 additional routers I get? That's in addition to lets whatever NM's I choose for say the 3640's?
    Yeah. They'd go into the WIC slots built into the 2600/2600XM or the WIC slots in the NM-*E-2Ws.
  • Options
    Yeah. They'd go into the WIC slots built into the 2600/2600XM or the WIC slots in the NM-*E-2Ws.

Thanks a lot for taking all that time to help me out. I just can't wait to get it all in so I can start going at it. Can't thank you enough.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot for taking all that time to help me out. I just can't wait to get it all in so I can start going at it. Can't thank you enough.
    Keep an eye out for another 2950 so you can do STP labs. If none of your existing 2950s have the Enhanced Image then also try to make sure this 3rd one has it. You can't software upgrade a 2950 from SI to EI so you must buy it like that already.
  • Options
    Keep an eye out for another 2950 so you can do STP labs. If none of your existing 2950s have the Enhanced Image then also try to make sure this 3rd one has it. You can't software upgrade a 2950 from SI to EI so you must buy it like that already.

I have two of the WS-C2950-24 switches that I believe only have the SI. I'm looking at buying a Catalyst 3550 right now though, would one of those be enough?