Starting to focus in on my career.

msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
I've finally decided to move forward and focus in on something attainable. I have plenty of experience but it's fairly diverse over a wide range of technologies. Getting into networking, VoIP, and security were the three big areas of interest. After a prospective career in VoIP fell through not long ago, I decided to focus more on networking or security as VoIP jobs in my region are rare and often require experience before getting on board.

Things have been bad at my job money wise (we're in real estate) and after no raise last year as well as an hour reduction and news today of no raises this year (no surprise) my boss who was annoyed by the decision as well decided we would compensate ourselves by training resources and certification exams on the companies dollar since he can slip those in without issue.

So today I ordered the following books:

Amazon.com: MCITP Self-Paced Training Kit (Exams 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, 70-647): Windows Server® 2008 Enterprise Administrator Core Requirements: Dan Holme, Nelson Ruest, Danielle Ruest, Tony Northrup, J.C. Mackin, Anil Desai, Orin Thomas, John Poli

Amazon.com: MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-620): Configuring Windows Vista(TM) Client (Self Paced Training Kit 70-620): I. McLean, Orin Thomas: Books

Amazon.com: Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V Unleashed: Rand Morimoto, Jeff Guillet: Books

Planning on doing the MCITP: EA and 70-652 as well.

In addition to the books, we're ordering the Train Signal complete training library hard drive as well as the complete TestOut suite. Still planning on finishing up some Cisco studies I began working on (on the companies dime of course) and at least finally wrap up the CCNA instead of getting sidetracked by the Microsoft studies. Hopefully I can make it through the Microsoft stuff fairly quick, I have a fair amount of experience over the years on Server 2003, not nearly as much on Server 2008 but we are going to move in that direction so this seems to make the most sense. Once I get these taken care of, I think I'll focus more on some security related studies once I'm comfortable working with Server 2008 as we push it out.

So at least there's this to look forward to this year, granted a raise would have been better or getting my hours back would be great too - but that frees up some more time to be studying I suppose :)

Comments

• impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's good. You are improving your skills and not losing time. Who knows after that you could take a better job.

Right now in my job everthing is slow, so I am trying to nail 70-290 for next week.

Keep going.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good stuff, and good luck with your studies.

Incidentally I thought that the Hyper-V unleashed book was excellent, and well worth the purchase.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's awesome that you have a manager that is looking out for you like that, even though he's powerless to do anything about direct monetary compensation. I personally would value what he's doing very highly.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    That's awesome that you have a manager that is looking out for you like that, even though he's powerless to do anything about direct monetary compensation. I personally would value what he's doing very highly.

Yea, it's very nice. He's been on this boat for a while and is growing tired of things here, so his philosophy is to maximize our marketability as much as we can on their dime :D