Options

Comp sec - need to do CS?

ilovecakeilovecake Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello. I have been keeping an eye on the chat here and thin it's about time I jumped in and asked for some advice.

I feel that I want to get into computer security, but I'm worried that I will need to learn programming deeply. The problem - for want of a better phrase "It's not my bag". I don't like to program and find it quite difficult. I'm not an idiot (really :P) but I just don't seem to get on with this aspect of computers. My question is - How much will this problem hold me back? I'll keep my fingers crossed for good news. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think you suffer from the same problem that I do, and you think that if you're not the guy developing the exploits, there's no place for you. It still irks me that I don't understand the math behind cryptography. However, I've come to find that there are a multitude of opportunities in the infosec realm, and there are different skill sets that are important to each (though there is always some overlap). For example, someone with CCIE in security would have significantly different skills and knowledge from a security researcher. I don't think CCIEs spend much of their time coding.

I'd encourage you to keep trying to learn or a programming language or two (or three or four) because the more you know and understand, the more valuable you'll be. You don't have to be an expert in any of them, but a solid foundation will help you out a great deal. While it seems difficult now, it will probably seem pretty straight-forward in a year or two.

Welcome to the forums :D
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A friend of mine works in intrusion detection for the government and he has a CIS degree. His degree certainly hasn't held him back. I think the only programming he had to do in school was Java.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've been on two job interviews for security position and one came back with an offer. I have taken programming courses in high school (VB, C++, Java) and college (VB). Other then that I have no flair for programming languages. There is not requirement that you know a programming language in order to get into computer security. Does it help? Sure, but it isn't going to hold you back. I tend to find that for most people in the security industry knowing a scripting language (PHP, Python, Perl) is what matters most. Good luck!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    dynamik wrote: »
    For example, someone with CCIE in security would have significantly different skills and knowledge from a security researcher. I don't think CCIEs spend much of their time coding.
    Not much, but some. icon_wink.gif

I'm going to agree with dynamik on this: it's sometimes a little frustrating to not know the code inside and out, but the world of security is a big, wide place that encompasses more than just hashing out code. You'll find yourself learning scripting, I'm sure, but working with the existing tools and nailing things down to follow best-practices is just as important. Take a look at the requirements for something like Security+ and you'll get an idea of the many paths you can take within security. Coding helps, but it's not a requirement, just as being a networking guru helps. It's all about what you bring to the party, that's what you should focus on. (Working with what you're actually interested in helps a lot.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Slowhand wrote: »
    Not much, but some. icon_wink.gif
    I don't count being able to construct a regexp as coding :P
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    tiersten wrote: »
    I don't count being able to construct a regexp as coding :P
    You gotta do something with 'em, otherwise bad, bad things start to happen. . . icon_lol.gif

regular_expressions.png

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    JJbiggleJJbiggle Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    You gotta do something with 'em, otherwise bad, bad things start to happen. . . icon_lol.gif

regular_expressions.png

HAHAHA!!! That is f*cking great!
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin