How should i study for a+?

weezerguy187weezerguy187 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I just managed to finish Mike Myers A+ book. I feel like I got the hang of everything in the book, minus some of the more minute details. Do i need to know everything in this book front to back for the test? I'm just wondering what kind of difficulty this test is at and if I should spend a lot of time going back over the book and studying it all. I'm eager to get on to Network+ afterwards. Any input will be appreciated.
-Cody

Comments

• aquageekaquageek Member Posts: 152
    Use some practice exams to guage your level of readiness, then check your weak areas and focus on those more than your stronger areas. As for methods of studying - find a way that works for you; a way that makes the knowledge stick.

My personal method is to read the book doing the labs, then re-read the book and make flash cards and doing the labs, then skimming through the book and flagging my weak areas and doing the labs, use the flash cards for when i have 5-10 minutes to spare, and finally do some more practice exams. Day before the exam I focus on my weak points yet again, do some more practice questions, get a good nights sleep and take the exam. I don't study on the day of the exam - I figure if I don't know it by now then I'm not ready to take the exam and studying on the day isn't going to help me.

Good luck!
    You are the systems administrator for a large enterprise that has decided to place computers in the lobby for access to public company information. On Tuesday morning Rooslan storms into your office screaming, "what the hell is this? In the last question I was the systems administrator. Now I am only a "Backup Operator"? This **** is crazy!"
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I've got a similar technique to aquageek. When I'm reading my books, I underline & make margin notes on key points or topics that I know are important and that I will want to revisit later. If I've got videos/CBTs, I make detailed notes and then type them up as I go through the videos. When I'm done reading, I go back through my book(s) - I don't exactly reread the book but I go over the stuff I've underlined and make additions to my notes & then I make flash cards on anything that hasn't quite stuck.

For the A+, the "labs" are probably going to consist of monkeying around with computers. If you've already got a good amount of this under your belt, then you're probably fine. But if you're looking for some more hands on practice, then get yourself some old machines & start playing around. Take them apart & put them back together & "break" them and fix them. I amassed a large collection of oldies from thrift stores, craigslist, & freecycle sites. I ended up with about 10-15 machines & various bits & pieces for less than $100.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • weezerguy187weezerguy187 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the replies, I think I'm just gonna go back over the book and find the parts i had trouble with and just take down notes and study. I've been building computers for years so I know the parts inside and out. About the tests, I can't seem to find a reliable practice test site. All the ones i find seem to be outdated or just insufficient. Do you guys have any good sites you used to practice?
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    You don't need practice tests. Since you've already stated you know the material, make sure you understand the objectives. IF you are worried about the exam format, Meyers' book should provide some insight to this as well as you will find information about the Exams on CompTIa's website including some sample questions.

It's mostly multiple-guess type questions and pick the 'best' answers. A+ and NET+ are likely the two easiest exams you will run into. The objectives and your experience are going to be the keys to your success.

Best wishes!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?