Options

What to do??

ger the manger the man Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,
I have a slight dilemma - Im working in IT security about 2.5 years now and am about to take the Security+ exam. When I hopefully pass Im contemplating whether to do MCSE (I have a lot of experience with Windows) or CCNA (I dont know the first thing). I want to stay in security so what is the best option??

Thanks for all replies.

Comments

• Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    If you go MCSE you can go MCSE with the security "concentration", if you go Cisco you can get CCNA + CCNA Security or even CCSP later.

CCNA = 1 or 2 exams
    CCNA: Security = 1 more exam
    CCSP = 4 more exams (IPS, SNRS, SNAF, Elective).

MCSE + Security is 6 exams, isn't it?

Might as well do them both. Cisco's security teaches you nothing about servers. Then again, neither path will teach much CISSP or CEH type stuff.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    MCSE:Security is 7 Exams if you already have Security+.

MCSE: Security on Windows Server 2003 Certification Requirements
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    I was thinking it might be good to do both MCSE and CCNA? I would be starting CCNA as a complete newbie though. I looked at stuff like 'ethical hacker' but I have yet to see one job advertisement mentioning it.
  • Options
    drew2000drew2000 Member Posts: 290
    CCNA would be far fewer exams than MCSE, but they could both be applicable to your career. I found the Security+ to be very broadening and fun to study for. Depending on what part of security you work in, either path could work out for you.

Good luck,

Drew
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    A CCNA is good for any branch of networking. I'd go find the ICND1 book by Wendell Odom in the book store or a sample chapter online and browse its topics, see if it's something you think you'd like to start doing.

Keep in mind that most Cisco people spend a lot of time in the lab. I'm not sure if that's the same for MCSE...but building a CCNA lab can be a lot of fun and challenging.

Both approaches have their ups and downs.
  • Options
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    A CCNA is good for any branch of networking. I'd go find the ICND1 book by Wendell Odom in the book store or a sample chapter online and browse its topics, see if it's something you think you'd like to start doing.

Keep in mind that most Cisco people spend a lot of time in the lab. I'm not sure if that's the same for MCSE...but building a CCNA lab can be a lot of fun and challenging.

Both approaches have their ups and downs.

Yeah I checked the cisco site yesterday and saw the ICND route too. So, CCNA is more about networking than the actual cisco products? I have access to some cisco hardware and was wondering which is the best to use? Sorry for all the questions but Im really starting from scratch.

Thanks