Word 2003 (Resumes)

amart83amart83 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
I don't know how to use Word to create my own resume. I'm trying right now and it's just very frustrating to get it to do what I want. For example, I finished formatting my certifications and when I deselect the Bullets button, it "un-bullets" (for lack of a better word) the last bullet I made.

ARGH!@#$(%

Then when I press enter, it does a half-ass'd border line that I don't know how to get rid of.

I wish I had a resume template where I could just edit out the info and enter what applies to me.

Can anyone help me or provide a website that helps teach the basics of formatting in Word, please?

Or better yet, just provide a resume template that was already made?

Thanks for your help.
Career path: Working on upgrading to MCSA2K3 then MSCE2K3 > CCENT > CCNA

Comments

• _maurice_maurice Member Posts: 142
    amart83 wrote: »
    I don't know how to use Word to create my own resume. I'm trying right now and it's just very frustrating to get it to do what I want. For example, I finished formatting my certifications and when I deselect the Bullets button, it "un-bullets" (for lack of a better word) the last bullet I made.

ARGH!@#$(%

Then when I press enter, it does a half-ass'd border line that I don't know how to get rid of.

I wish I had a resume template where I could just edit out the info and enter what applies to me.

Can anyone help me or provide a website that helps teach the basics of formatting in Word, please?

Or better yet, just provide a resume template that was already made?

Thanks for your help.

ask clippy - he would love to show you all of his templates!
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    _maurice wrote: »
    ask clippy - he would love to show you all of his templates!
    OMG, if amart83 is going "ARGH!@#$(%" now, I'm pretty sure using "clippy" would result in head implosion! icon_lol.gif

amart83 - Word can be very frustrating at times, I know. As for the bulleting thing, if you hit the ENTER key after your last bullet item and THEN re/unclick the bulleting format button on that next line, that should fix you up right. (You may have to hit backspace to remove the indent & get back to the proper left margin though.) It will apply the bullet or unbullet formatting to whatever line you're on, so make sure you're on a line that you do NOT want bulleted before you hit that button to turn it off.

Not sure about the weird border line. Do you still see it when you do a document preview?? If not, then it's just showing you the formatting marks. Go to Tools, Options, View tab - clear all the checkboxes under "Formatting marks." Click OK.

If you want to turn off automatic formatting (making bulleted lists where you don't want them, autocorrecting spelling on things that weren't misspelled in the first place, etc.) then go to Tools, AutoCorrect Options. Play around with the different options on the AutoCorrect, AutoFormat & AutoFormat As You Type tabs. There's OODLES of annoying little "helpers" that are built into Word that you can turn off there to help reduce some of your frustration.

In general, if you don't want to monkey with those autocorrect settings & Word auto-does something that you didn't want it to do (formatting something into a bulleted list, correcting the case of a word, changing the spelling, whatever) use the old standby - UNDO! CTRL+Z is your best friend in situations like this. I have some autocorrect features on in Word, but they work to my detriment when I'm typing up notes for my java class (certain keywords in java NEED to be lower case and Word doesn't seem to understand that, grr) and I use the undo shortcut all the time for things like that.

If you don't find a template that you like or if you're having issues with getting indents/bullets/etc formatted nicely, then using tables might help. Instead of using indents, you can use multiple columns & differently sized/formatted rows of a table inserted into Word to achieve the look of different sections & to keep things lined up nicely. You can also use table borders to easily & neatly create underlines & borders between sections that are a bit more easily controlled than drawn lines or underlines in regular text.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This thread reminds me of this: WinRG in FULLSCREEN!!
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You're not alone. Word itself frustrates me for stuff like this. All the stuff that I can do on a network and I spend hours and days trying to format a @#$@#$Q@ resume.

Tables can be just as frustrating. I usually end up downloading a template from office online that I like and doing a lot of copy/paste from my old resume.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • amart83amart83 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for your help skrpune.

I was able to figure out the correct Google keywords that provided the solution I was looking for.

I was able to complete my resume from scratch and fix that annoying auto-border line problem (Link to the solution if anyone wants it).
    blargoe wrote: »
    You're not alone. Word itself frustrates me for stuff like this. All the stuff that I can do on a network and I spend hours and days trying to format a @#$@#$Q@ resume.
    That's exactly what I was thinking throughout most of the process. icon_lol.gif
    Career path: Working on upgrading to MCSA2K3 then MSCE2K3 > CCENT > CCNA