Options

Starting a Computer Repair Business

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
I wanted some info for those of you who have started a computer repair business. I'm looking at it as a part time gig to go with a full time job. I have a lot of debt and having a second income (even a 100 a week) will make a huge difference in what I owe (all school debt). If eventually it took off and let's me do it full time that is fine. So my question is how are those of you who do it fairing? I know people aren't buying a lot so I figure they are looking into repairs. Really just trying to get an idea if I want to pursue it or just find a part time job....
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    part time IT work is a little iffy right now (at least in my area), so unless you're willing to look outside of IT or unless your area is freer with the part time work than my area, you might have a hard time picking up a second job. The job market varies wildly from area to area, so I can't really say what the prospects for part time IT work would be for your area without knowing where you're located.

As far as a side repair business...I haven't done it myself, but I've known a couple people who have their own IT repair/service business. It's really hard to get started and getting those first few customers is the hardest part. Do you have a group of friends/colleagues that you would be able to tap into for their business, or who could recommend you to other/new customers? Word of mouth is probably your best form of "advertisement" when getting started, since no one wants to hand over their confidential personal data to someone they don't know or can't be sure they can trust.

Beside just generally getting that word of mouth going, you can really get a leg up by aiming for a certain niche market. The most successful IT self-employed folks I know are those who tackle specific issues/industries...dental offices, construction companies, restaurants, etc. People in specific industries often have other contacts in those industries and word of mouth will spread. So if there's a particular industry in which you have any expertise, experience, or contacts, then I'd say study up on what their particular specialized needs are so you're prepared to service them & start calling some folks to get the word out that your services are available.

Good luck!!
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    Thanks man all valid advice! I am pretty well known within the church community so I usually get a lot of calls for help every couple of months. I generally don't charge (if it's the church) or charge very little of the people who know me. A lot of people usually ask if they can give my info out and up till now I've said no. But now that I have having issues securing a job I am looking into it. Again thanks for the advice, gave me a lot to think about...
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    hmmm, sounds like you have a built in network of folks there that can REALLY help you get a business off the ground! I say put the word out. Let them know that you're now open for business - if you have email addresses for these folks, then send out an announcement; if not, then send out a mailer, which you can save $$ on by printing up yourself. And maybe if you want to keep them at low or no cost, you can dub them "charter" customers who get special rates, or offer discounts for referrals.

Some churches also do reasonably priced advertisements for local businesses in their church bulletins. It's definitely something worth looking into, and something tells me that folks are more apt to trust someone advertising in the church bulletin more so than some random techy guy/gal from some random company or the Geek Squad...

• Options
    ScottFernScottFern Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've been trying to do this for a little over a year. My mom has gotten me over 5 referrals, and I have gotten very few referrals from those people, but I keep trying. Mostly my "clients" are 40+ singles who have no idea how to operate a PC, but those types of people are running thin especially in this economic climate.

All I have done as far as advertising is let every client know I am open for more business. I have gotten two small businesses to ask for my services and thats about the extent of it for now. I am definitely still very hungry for more work. Just haven't found the best way to advertise.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    ScottFern wrote: »
    I've been trying to do this for a little over a year. My mom has gotten me over 5 referrals, and I have gotten very few referrals from those people, but I keep trying. Mostly my "clients" are 40+ singles who have no idea how to operate a PC, but those types of people are running thin especially in this economic climate.

All I have done as far as advertising is let every client know I am open for more business. I have gotten two small businesses to ask for my services and thats about the extent of it for now. I am definitely still very hungry for more work. Just haven't found the best way to advertise.

I suggest business cards. Hand them out, and stick some on grocery store cork boards. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just be sure you're ready to deal with the hassle that is going to accompany such work. As soon as you touch a person's computer, many will hold you responsible for everything. If they have problems with something a month later, they're going to bring it back to you because that didn't occur before you worked on it. I'd rather get a PT job at McDonalds than deal with that.

If you haven't already, do a search for On Force and look at those threads. That might be a better compromise. And check your second post in this thread; you seem to have a bit of gender confusion ;)
  • Options
    ScottFernScottFern Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Just be sure you're ready to deal with the hassle that is going to accompany such work. As soon as you touch a person's computer, many will hold you responsible for everything. If they have problems with something a month later, they're going to bring it back to you because that didn't occur before you worked on it. I'd rather get a PT job at McDonalds than deal with that.

If you haven't already, do a search for On Force and look at those threads. That might be a better compromise. And check your second post in this thread; you seem to have a bit of gender confusion ;)

Onforce has been absolutely crap for me. Now, granted I am not in any PPNs, and not sure how to get into them, but I had 2 Onforce jobs offered and then nothing ever since.
  • Options
    And check your second post in this thread; you seem to have a bit of gender confusion ;)
    Meh, I don't take offense at being called "man" and I honestly didn't even notice until you mentioned it - I use that expression all the time (kinda like "dude"), regardless of the gender of the person I'm talking too. And I actually prefer "man" to some of the other things I've been called! icon_lol.gif

• Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□

This is the flat out truth. I don't get this as often with business customers, but your consumer level repairs are a royal pain often. There are a lot of scenarios, the three most common are like dynamik said, unrelated issues develop days, weeks or months down the road and they'll be calling you to blame. The other scenario is where they are not clear in describing everything they need addressed, I get to the point now where I push and prod people almost to the point that they become annoyed so I can get all of the information and not have things I was "supposed to fix" that I was never told about that are asked about after the fact. The other common one is you fix say a spyware/virus problem through a backup and reload. Days or weeks later you get an angry call because the users dumb kids messed up the computer again. Annoys me to the point where I have a very very hard time accepting side jobs even though my wife and I could certainly use all the extra income we can get our hands on - it's almost not worth the time and stress potential.

My suggestion, if you do - be extremely clear up front what your terms are and exceptionally thorough when gathering a description of the problem and tell the user that you will perform exactly the work they specifically ask you to perform and nothing more so if they forget to mention something, it's not pinned on you, documentation is your friend and have them sign off on what you have written in your problem description so you can say they signed off on what work you were going to perform.

If you do that and don't mind some potential stress I'd say go for it. Just do yourself a big favor and don't let a nagging client get their way unless you genuinely goofed up somehow, if you cave once you'll always be expected to cave.
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420

x2

Be prepared to give up all of your free time
  • Options
    btowntechbtowntech Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□

x3

I'm glad I got to move 4 hours away so that people can't ask me to fix their computer anymore. Once you work on a computer it owns you.

Read Start Your Own Computer Business (you can find it on Amazon) and see if your still interested.
    BS - Information Technology; AAS - Electro-Mechanical Engineering
  • Options
    LOL yeah sorry didn't realize the "man" comment. Yeah, like I said definitely looking at it from all angles to make sure I want to do it. As always, thanks for the help!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    I started my own PC Repair business about a month ago but haven't actually tried to get any clients as of yet. I've had two customers and they both said they would refer me. The best advice I could give comes in three parts.

Part 1) Provide quality work for a less expensive price than your competitors. With virtually no overhead, you should be able to do this easy. Good work @ a low price? No brainer for customers.

Part 2) Provide a mini-contract detailing what you are there to do along with a place for them to sign once the work is done and they verified it's working. Once they sign, the transaction is complete. Even if it happens 5 minutes later, it's another service call charge. Oh, and make sure you have business insurance too to cover any boo-boo's you might make.

Part 3) Be legit. Incporporate yourself, open a business checking account and start referring to the work as "the business's" work. If you follow through with this process you'll take yourself more seriously as a business and thus, you'll be better at CYA. Moreover, while insurance is good to have, it's important to have that added layer of legal protection should someone decide to sue you for something.

Hope that helps, good luck!
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Options
    SEMSEM Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sign up as a pro on OnForce OnForce | Information Technology And Consumer Electronics Services

You will be able to earn some extra cash this way, you may even be able to grow a business using the OnForce platform.

Let me know what you think.