Options

Exchange Database Issue

billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
As from my previous exchange posts, as your aware i am trying my first exchange migration from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003. I have a new server that has been built and also everything is installed and working well, even the public folders have been replicated, so whats my problem you ask? Well i am now at the next stage to move the mailboxes but then i have confused myself with asking a question. On the old 2000 exchange server we have just the one mailbox store, with the Transaction Logs and Database all on the same drive, so on the new Exchange server i have made several new mailbox stores and named them for example Mail1, Mail2, etc, and also made the transaction logs and databases on seperate drives, now do i need to move the old transaction logs and databases from the old server to the new, or just the mailboxes? If i need to move the transaction logs etc, then would i need to replicate the old setup onto the new server? Sorry it`s long winded but i need to explain the best i can.

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    All you need to do is move mailboxes, not database/log files. When you move mailboxes, Exchange will create log files on the new server which are then played into the Exchange database.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    +1

Just be aware you will lose single instance storage on your mailboxes, so allow space for a bigger resulting db after the mailbox moves are completed.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
    Many thanks for the reply, i thought as much, but i wanted to make sure.