Options

Net+ books

Darian929Darian929 Member Posts: 197
So i passed the A+ on friday and now im ready for network+ but since I have read some threads here saying that the new 2009 version is out I have a question. since the 2007 version is available until july 31st I have roughly 5 1/2 months to study for the 2007 and i was planning on buying these books Amazon.com: CompTIA Network+ Certification Kit: Exam N10-003: David Groth, Toby Skandier, Bill Ferguson: Books. Would anyone recommend that pack as good study material for the 2007 net+ exam? I also read the minimum score to pass the 2007 is like 550 compared to the new 2009 which is 720. Your 2 cents would help, Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Would 'I' recommend those books?

Maybe....

I like the Meyers and Sybex books for A+, NET+ and Sybex for Server+. And to buy a 'bundle' I don't usually find that all the material is what I want. You'll likely be able to locate some used books and be just fine, but have different publishers/authors to ensure a different perspective.

As far as the exam change, yes you have plenty of time to prepare. Second, I wouldn't focus on a score....learn the material. You'll have much more difficult exams ahead and the focus should be on understanding the material, not merely passing.

And yes, passing is important, but IT information builds upon each step (and sometimes goes sideways, backwards and then leaps ahead), but the more you understand, the better your odds are come exam time.

Good luck.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I've heard good things about that "kit" and it does get great reviews, but I haven't used it myself. I'd strongly recommend getting yourself to a BIG bookstore and looking through the books in person (the books in the kit are sold separately too) to make sure that they're your cup of tea. Each person is different and you might hate a book that someone else loves. For example, Mike Myers gets awesome reviews and comes highly recommended by most, but I just didn't dig his writing style & how his books were put together for A+ & N+ so I went with other authors.

For N+, I ended up choosing two different books: Anthony Chiarella's "Network+ Self-Study Guide 2nd Edition" and Tamara Dean's "Network+ 2005 In Depth" (the kit that included flash cards & some practice questions, which I didn't really use and probably could have done without).

The books that "speak" to you may be different though. So get a list of books together that get good reviews online, then go do some perusing at a book store & see what books you like, then go back online to order them & save some money. If you can afford it, get two books or take out a second book from the library to try to get exposure to multiple resources...the more resources you have, the more well rounded your knowledge on the subject matter, and the more likely it will help you pass the exam and help you in the real world beyond the exam.

And yes, the 2005 objective/2007 version exam does have a pass score of 554 as opposed to the now much higher pass score on the 2009 exams. I haven't done a detailed comparison of the objectives, so I can't really tell what the differences are, but I do know that there are very few study resources out for the new exams so I would definitely advise going for the 2005/2007 exams if you can prepare in time as there are OODLES of resources to choose from.

Good luck with your studies!!
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    Darian929Darian929 Member Posts: 197
    Hey guys, thanks a lot for the recommendations, I just bought the network+ study guide from sybex and the exam cram network+ and the exam cram questions and answers, total was like $66 so I should have plenty to study with, I saw very good reviews from the sybex so i just went with it because I read the Meyers book and pretty much I liked it as it taught me a lot but at the same time I felt I was learning more of a broad concept of computers and when i saw the exams it was too specific so I think the Meyers book has to much "unneeded" info for the test which at the same time is good to learn the entire thing.