Options

Conceptual ICND1 question

jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
This may not come up on the CCENT exam I'm taking the first week in March, but I'm interested in knowing just from a general education point of view: If a router has a point to point connection, can that connection also be used to connect to the general internet? Or does another port need to provide internet services.

I'm assuming the answer is yes. Using a point-to-multi-point Frame Relay type deal, but can you have one of those "multipoints" just route packets to the global internet? I may be confusing myself, but I was just wondering. Thanks for all the help.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think you are confusing yourself. If you have a point to point link that just means only one device is on the other end of that particular link. That doesn't mean nothing else is reachable beyond that device. That device you have a point to point link with may have many links to other devices. This is the point of routing, devices can be reached via other devices!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    That's what I thought. I was confusing myself after I thought about it in depth. Thanks for the input!