Options

Network question - using hubs to get more ports

SurferdudeHBSurferdudeHB Member Posts: 199 ■■■□□□□□□□
If I need 4 more network connections but only have one hot port can I use a 4 port hub to give me the extra network ports I need?

What type of issues could I run into, vlan?

This is for a lab at my work.

Comments

• Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    it should work fine. if the port is an access port it will strip the vlan tag off before it gets to the hub. shouldn't be any problems for a lab.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Hub or switch? Big difference between the two.

If it is a switch, is it a managed switch?

If it is a managed switch, what brand is it? e.g. You'll get weird CDP output if your switch doesn't understand CDP.
  • Options
    SurferdudeHBSurferdudeHB Member Posts: 199 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    Hub or switch? Big difference between the two.

If it is a switch, is it a managed switch?

If it is a managed switch, what brand is it? e.g. You'll get weird CDP output if your switch doesn't understand CDP.

Just a hub.

So this won't affect the port speed?
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Just a hub.

Save yourself the hassle and buy a switch. This one is $22.

Amazon.com: Linksys EZXS55W EtherFast 10/100 5-Port Workgroup Switch: Electronics
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Just a hub.

Hub is a shared medium.... Due to this it has one collision domain for all hosts connected which means it must operate at half-duplex...

I'm pretty sure most hubs are 10Mbps\Half-duplex by default..... I've never come across a 100Mbps hub... but then again I've never tried to search for one.

Get yourself a cheap switch... if money is an issue... doesn't have to be manageable if you only need it to connect extra hosts. Gets around the half-duplex issue as each port has a seperate collision domain allowing for full-duplex operation to all hosts.

Just make sure whatever you uplink it too is configure as an access port.

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    If I need 4 more network connections but only have one hot port can I use a 4 port hub to give me the extra network ports I need?

What type of issues could I run into, vlan?

This is for a lab at my work.

SurferdudeHB,

Do you have 4 spare IP addresses within the subnet associated with the potential hub subnetwork?
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    hub = bad
    -Daniel
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Save yourself the hassle and buy a switch. This one is $22.

Amazon.com: Linksys EZXS55W EtherFast 10/100 5-Port Workgroup Switch: Electronics

Um, you might want an actual Cisco switch if you are doing the CCNA

You can get a 2950-12 or 2950-24 for around $75 shipped these days
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What type of issues could I run into
    I'm surprised that no one mentioned the obvious problem -- if it's not YOUR NETWORK and you aren't the Network Admin (or best buddies with them):

Best Case -- you lose your network connection if someone punks you by connecting 2 of your hub/switch ports with a crossover cable.

Worst Case -- Network Admin/Network Security hunts you down and kills you for adding an unauthorized device to the network.

But if it's an isolated lab network -- then you may just incur the wrath of whoever acts as the lab admin if something goes wrong :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!